SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQMOD problem

Darth_Muppet

Since I updated to the latest EQMOD I'm getting a problem. When I run up Maxim it connects to EQMOD and runs up fine. Whenever I try and connect another piece of software like cartes Du Ciel, PHD 2 or whatever, it tries to load up another instance of EQMOD again.

Of course, there is already an EQMOD running so the new one fals with a connection error message and I cant use any other software. Prior to the update (v128) I could connect multiple items all using the same instance of EQMOD. Any ideas?

im pretty sure thats what happened to me TBH , I ran maxim on it then when i went to CDC I had connect error  (something like that) from there I just plunged into the depths of hell in the end i went back to synscan, wish i could help you but im lost on it

Just a thought  but have you tried running both as admin?. Worth a try as its got me out of a few probs running more than one app relying on a part common to both. If I haven`t just killed the English language :tongue:

Steve

Chris,

Running applications under admin rights is very risky - especially if the PC is connected to the Internet via anything other than a very locked-down firewall. I've helped rescue a number of PC users that have found their PCs are suddenly not theirs any more. :eek:

Admin rights should only be used for the installation of software (where this is required) and for PC configuration - and then only for the shortest possible time.

Is there any way that EQMOD could be configured to cope with the issues people have experienced, perhaps by only running a single instance at a time?

I disagree. Admin rights are not just for installation - much of windows itself is running with admin rights all the time.  Granting appropriate rights to applications that need them is a perfectly acceptable and normal aspect of computer management. In almost 8 years of advising folks on EQMOD use I've yet to have anyone complain that granting admin rights to EQMOD / ASCOM has caused them any problem at all.

The whole point of ASCOM is that it provides an environment whereby multiple client applications can connect simultaneously to their mount driver. By doing this separate planetarium,  platesolver, autoguider apps can all be made to work together to provide complete mount automation. Having each app open up a separate instance of EQMOD just doesn't work as once the first EQMOD instance has taken the serial port the others will not be able to access it.

Chris.

That's OK Doug, I also just re-read my post and I can see why it set of alarm bells!

Just so everyone understands, when I said everything should be set to run as administrator I was referring to all the applications mentioned in the original post of this discussion- not everything on the computer!

Chris.

Archived