Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation Screw

Hi there.

My collimation was fairly bad. I now notice that one of the screws isnt even attached to anything. It can be pulled out!

I've not had a chance to look in daylight yet... I'm guessing I would need to remove the secondary to resolve the problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Read this description from Bob's Knobs:

http://www.bobsknobs.com/Literature/assets/M6screwinfo2.pdf

It explains how to re-engage the screw, but the concentric spring may have fallen into the interior of the OTA.

In which case you will have to remove the corrector (the glass front of the OTA) to find and reinstall the spring and screw

Hope this helps

Michael

This happened because you repeatedly collimated by turning the screws anti-clockwise to make an ajustment. Eventually of course you run out of thread!  Screw the other two in (clockwise) to pull the secondary back towards the corrector plate a little, then you should be able to re-engage the third screw. When you've done that  turn ALL the screws inwards all the way until they stop, then you can get collimation by turning the screws outward again. It is good practice to keep the screws turned in as far as possible anyway as this offers the best support for the secondary, otherwise it can end up hanging on the last couple of threads which is not a very stable condition.

ChrisH

Archived