NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First go at M1 - Crab Nebula

Didn't realise this was such a tough target!

I will need to get the guiding set-up for longer exposures, but I'm still fine tuning the GOTO and mount ... and learning!

This was a night with a small window of opportunity so I was target hopping. 

I've invested in PixInsight now so this is the result of my processing.

http://www.astrobin.com/230024/

Well done. Have a look at your background sky, maybe. Did you run DBE as a first step? With well placed markers (don't use too many. I think the default is too high) it will give you a lovely neutral dark grey and take out gradients. It's worth running a few attempts till you get this stage right because what follows is largely built on that. It gives an excellent colour 

balance while it's about it. A key tool.

Olly

Cheers Olly,

I did run DBE first, but as you say it does take a bit of practise to get it right. I have a tutorial that I follow and I'm gradually understanding what I'm doing rather than just doing (if you know what I mean). Currently working on the Cigar Galaxy and I have been focusing more on tweaking DBE to get a nice clean gradient free background before continuing.

PixInsight is such a fantastic and powerful piece of software and a bargain even at £170.

Archived