Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar photos with the Canon Legria FS36 Camcorder

Aussie Dave

Between the small breaks of clouds I managed to take some single shots of the moon tonight with a Canon Legria FS36 camcorder on a camera tripod. The quick test went ok.

40x optical zoom, 1024 x 768 maximim resolution, full size cropped, 2 single shots stacked in Registax 6 and finished off in Paint.Net.

I could've bumped the zoom up slightly in to digital zoom but was difficult to keep within full frame on a tripod. There was some slight yellow fringing top right and blue/violet fringing bottom left of the moon in all shots. Converted to black and white. I over processed, again :rolleyes:

post-40030-0-72394100-1448301236.png

I did a 5 image stack Michael with Registax but the focus on the final image result wasn't good. My 2 best focused shots I stacked out of about 40 total for the quick lunar night session which seemed ok. I realise the more images the better but the quality of the other 38 photos just wasn't there.

I tried for the first time a video stack. Converted the camcorders MOD file to avi. Can play the 2 different file extension videos fine in a few different players but Registax and Fitswork will not accept it. Tried converting the avi to black and white in Iris but it comes up with a compression error, even tried to convert to single images but no go. Seems to be a corrupt file somewhere.

There'll be other better nights, I'll keep testing and keep at it.

to remove chromatic aberrasion i use a removal tool in paint shop pro x8, hope you dont mind

Nah not at all Charl. I feel honoured that someone would want to better my shot, cheers mate, much better on that single shot :smiley: 

Photoshop sure is a big mixed bag of tricks but it's out of my price range thats for sure.

I'm just preparing for a nights lunar imaging with the collimated Saxon. it's looking good and I could be out there a while :grin:

Archived