Two Questions

andy_usa

I have not been on here in a long time. I had to back away from this hobby for a bit but I am back now. I have two equipment questions:

1). Does anyone know where, or if, I can find a 1.25" eyepiece mount that allows for two eyepieces to be used at the same time; one straight through, one at 90 deg. I am looking to use this for photo purposes. One to hold my CCD the other an eyepiece  to center and focus with. I know most photo software will focus for you but I still would like the optics to do most of the work.

2). I am trying to use my reflector to do solar observations. According to the manufacturer this is a no-no. I am designing a filter that attaches to the barrel rather than the eypiece thus protecting the mirror and the inside of the tube. I plan on using tinted glass as a part of this. I need to know what %black tint I need to use to act as a successful filter. It may not work but it might be worth a try.

Thanks All...Andy_USA

Don't even think about making your own solar filter  :shocked:

The Baader Solar film does not cost much and does the job really well. It blocks 99.999% of the sunlight. You are correct that the filter should fit over the whole front aperture of your scope. Don't for get to cap or remove the finder scope as well.

Somehow I knew You folks would set me straight. John, my plan has always been to cover the whole front aperture to keep from damaging the mirror and its mounts. I also planned to make a filter mount for the finder scope and left the star align system capped.

Somehow I knew You folks would set me straight. John, my plan has always been to cover the whole front aperture to keep from damaging the mirror and its mounts. I also planned to make a filter mount for the finder scope and left the star align system capped.

I thought you might have that in mind but I thought there was no harm in mentioning it anyway :smiley:

You haven't mentioned your 'scope, but yes, the Baader solar film is fab and really easy to use.

I bought an A4 sheet for the solar eclipse, we made a dozen solar specs, a stopped down filter for my 8" dob and a full aperture filter for a 130p, great value. :)

MY Scope is a Celestron Sky Prodigy 130. The id. of the apature is 6" (152mm) with a 5.1"(130mm) objective with a 26"(650mm) Focal length. I will be using a Next Gen 5 camera for capture work. Notice the progress there, start big and slow work small and fast. I found both of the mentioned parts at Amazon.com (go figure).

AstroZap Badder Solar Filter for 152mm and 194mm-204mm   about $82.00 incl ship (USD)

Vixen Flip Diagonal Mirror                                                          about $90.00 incl ship (USD)

So save up about $200.00 (USD) and I should be on may way to some nice solar picks. I plan on getting the Vixen Flip Mirror first and start with Lunar Planetary and Stellar photos first. I'll post results soon as I figure everything out.

Thanks Again...Any_USA

Andy,

When you are not viewing or imaging the sun, maybe because you area having a break for whatever reason, it is good practice to point you scope so it is not in direct line to the sun. Especially so if you have goto functionality as it will only take a few seconds to relocate it. There is no real need to do this but it kind of makes sense and it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Ok, I kind of meant if you go for something to eat or a coffee, not when it is not in use :laugh: Imagine what would happen if the filter got blown off or even fell off whilst unattended, it can happen.

Archived