wider eye pieces

barry f

i am looking to get a  wider ep what would be the bonuses ? I already have a e-lux 25mm  is there something better than this?  i have a nexstar 6 se with a celestron excel ep (12mm) which i am pleased with, is there sometihing better than this in the range i am looking for that wont break the bank or do i stick with the excel range  the reason i am looking as i wanted to use for for looking at constellations 

also what would i need to look at deeper space?

..... but thanks for the quick response

No problem :smiley:

Most eyepieces work really well in F/10 scopes like your 6SE so you don't need to spend a fortune. It's useful to have 4-5 eyepieces that cover low - medium - high magnifications. A 32mm plossl would do a good job at the low power end. For high power I guess 200x would be quite useable under half decent conditions so something in the 7mm - 8mm range. The BST Starguiders seem to work pretty well for their <£50 purchase price.

I think the Baader Hyperion is a good wide angle contender, although I've never owned one. I do have a 10mm Celestron Luminos which is pretty good, and they work well on Mak/SCT's. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-luminos-eyepieces.html

CelestronLuminos1box%20-%20Copy_zpsr4c2l

The TeleVue Nagler and Panoptics are particularly good, but are more expensive. I use my 16mm T5 and 19mm Pan a lot, I don't regret spending the money on them. 

TV%20Pan%2019mm%20%20Nag%20T5_zpst0qdcsm

The Naglers are a bit expensive, I'll admit, but the viewing with them is really worth it. I've finally recovered from the shock of splashing the £250 on it lol. I was using it a couple of nights ago viewing M42, and although I started off with a Plossl and others, the T5 was the eyepiece that spent most of the time in the diagonal. As the OP stated they have a NexStar 6 SE, I'd recommend considering something like a T5 to compliment a nice scope like the NexStar 6 SE. If you're crazy enough to splash the cash. It is worth saving for, although some find the 10mm eye relief of the T5 tiring. I think it's the eyepiece I use the most at the moment.

if i am honest i only wanted to go to £100 so what would best suit that price bracket?

whilst here i am also looking to get a better finder scope than the red dot one i have as  i  struggling to get it on target any ideas there pls would be good again around £100 pls

if i am honest i only wanted to go to £100 so what would best suit that price bracket?

whilst here i am also looking to get a better finder scope than the red dot one i have as  i  struggling to get it on target any ideas there pls would be good again around £100 pls

Celestron RACI

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-illuminated-right-angle-correct-image-finderscope.html

Just for clarity, do you mean a wider field of view at a given focal length, or just a wider field at a longer focal length?

Your 25mm e-lux will have a field of view of around 50°, do you want to replace it with an eye piece with a field of view of 68° or 82°?

Or, as John has suggested, do you want to see more sky at a lower magnification, with a 32mm plossl?

Telrad. Very useful red dot (and circle) finder. The last red dot you'll ever need and much cheaper than £100.

Archived