Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

stopping down camera lenses on CCD

Stardust

I recently aquired an Atik 314L+  My intention is to try some wider views in HA of the main scope target.

I have tried with lenses and want to loose the 8 point star spikes. I realise the best way is with a front aperture mask.

I can see when on the dslr what f4 looks like, but what size should the front mask be? I first thought it should be the same size looking down the lens as the aperture blades. I tried with step down rings but 37mm diameter was way too small to be of any use, so I realised that wasn't going to work.

Here is the set up so far, I made the plate at the weekend and can remote focus the geared motor. 

post-195-0-84828400-1447097099_thumb.jpg

ok . I'll try it wide as that's one of the reasons for using a fast lens, but I have read it performs much better at f4. I can use the rings to step down to 50mm then up again to fit  a large old Hoya rubber lens hood. There'll also be a dew band in place. Ready to go but don't think it's going to happen this week looking at the forecast.

My set went from f3.0 to 5.0 in 0.2 steps they were laser cut from 0.8mm stainless steel and blackened...  For "web sized" images I found wide open was OK with 1/3rds focusing but around f3.2-3.4 was better for larger size images...

You can also make corrections in the PP...

Peter...

Excellent setup there Dave, pretty constructive hands you have mate.

Looking forward to your first captures with that setup.

ATB

Ewan

Thanks Ewan, think it's been cloudy since I bought your camera, itching to give it a spin out under some clear skies. I'll let you know when I have something

cheers

David 

Archived