NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

130pds wide field eyepiece

JonC

My current eyepiece line up is rather jumbled and unplanned, most was picked up with other 2nd hand kit. I am mainly using a SW 130pds at the moment, but also have a meade etx-105. The eyepieces below mostly came with the Meade.

They are

Meade 26mm Super Plossl LP

OWL-15mm

OWL-9mm

BST Starguider 8mm

Revelation 2.5x balow

The 8mm starguider is a recent purchase and its stands above the others in quality, and has made me consider getting a couple of better eyepieces to replace the 25mm and possibly something wider.

I think I have planetary covered with the 8mm, I am after something better quality as a general eyepiece around 25mm, probably the 25mm starguider, or possibly the Explore Scientific 28mm 68 degree. Then adding a 32 or 35mm eyepiece later on. Any suggestion on the 25mm BST vs the 28mm ES, and thoughts on a 32-35mm. 

My interest at the moment is pretty general, planets are difficult from my location, so more DSOs. Also any suggestions on filters for visual.

Cheers

Jon

I've recently aquired a Maxvision 24mm 68 degree eyepiece which would give the max true field for a 1.25" eyepiece. It seems a pretty good wide field eyepiece for it's cost (I bought it used).

That would replace your 26mm and negate the need for anything longer. This assumes that you stay with the 1.25" fitting. If you can use 2" eyepieces you have other options of course !

The 28mm 68 degree eyepiece is a 2" so maybe that is a direction you are wanting to consider ?

Uncertain about the eyepieces as well. But any you bought used, if you want different ones, can be re-sold for about the same cost you bought them for. So that was a wise move on your part!

Filter-wise, for visual, Steve (bomberbaz) steered you well in suggesting a UHC. Others would suggest an OIII as the first to get. I'd say toss-a-coin. And yes to a neodymium-filter from Baader Planetarium. Don't bother with any coloured-filters for now. They look pretty in the ads, but you'll never use them.

Have fun!

Dave

Had the 25mm bst to use with a 130p explorer. Personally I found that about 30% of the outer view was poor and there was too much astigmatism. Made viewing unsatisfactory. Recently replaced the scope with a 150p ( a more satisfying viewing experience and better build quality). Replaced the BST with a 2 inch 32mm panaview as I like the swa/uwa experience. Unfortunately the exit pupil was too big, plus there were issues with astigmatism and loss of quality off axis. So I have replaced that with a 68 deg 28mm Maxvision. Have only used a couple of times so far but have found it really good. The exit pupil problem seems resolved, views are sharper than either of the other 2 and colours are clear. It compliments my 82 deg pieces well. There is coma from the scope, but nothing off putting. I'm happy with my set-up now. I have a Meade 5000 uwa 6.7mm which I enjoy, and which motivated me to get the Maxvision, which is supposed to be the same, rebranded. I got the Maxvision from bresser.de, from their sale ex-display section. Saved myself 20 quid or more, it took 2 days to arrive from Germany to UK, and is new. Quite heavy though. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 500 using Tapatalk

Archived