Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What to buy

The 200P dob is a newtonian telescope on a dobsonian base. The dob base is a rocker box on a turntable which allows up down and side to side movement of the scope. You'll get a second hand one in great condition for around £200 - check out UK Astro Buy Sell website. It's a good scope and very popular with many intermediate astro amateurs. Hth :)

Hi there, I have one of these  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians.html the 200P (8" version ) a little over your price at present, but save a little more, as the Stars wont be going anywhere soon, and you'll have a full warranty and a new scope!

The 8" at £279 is very popular in the UK.

Its a great beginners scope as well as a lifetime investment. I prefer visual observations, and the scope is most suitable for the task. There is nothing really to go wrong, unless you drop one, and really nothing to set up ( after initial checks ) during regular use.

A Newtonian telescope like mine, consists of a metal tube with two mirrors and a focuser, when the final image is enlarged by an eyepiece to see that image.

The Newtonian telescope  sits on a cradle, box like structure called the Dobsonian, named after its inventor John Dobson (RIP)

The telescope, due to its construction,requires that all the components are aligned with each other, along one axis. To assess and set this, we use a method called collimation. Its the musicians equivalent of tuning a guitar? But were tuning a telescope, simple to do once understood, takes seconds once mastered.

Welcome to SGL.

Archived