Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick Lunar Session

Aussie Dave

Great night for imaging however the moon is rising later every night. This was a very brief imaging session (@ 1am) when the moon was about 25 degrees above the horizon (fence). The colour is how it  looked through our lovely particle filled atmosphere in the south west corner of Western Australia. Heat shimmer visible on the edge. The image is unprocessed, ISO 1600, 1/250 sec, prime focus, D3100 and the Skywatcher Pro 6". Still testing camera and scope.

post-40030-0-86092800-1446487325_thumb.p

great image Dave, we had the shimmering sky lastnight and thismorrning. thanks for sharing  charl.

I didn't think you got any heat all the way up there this time of year :smiley:

Have a few, almost identical photos that I'll process through Registax and see what it spits out. If it's worth posting I'll throw it up.

There's something I'm not doing correctly in Registax and I don't know what it is. I tried for the first time processing 42 images of M42 Orions Nebula. All processing went well but ended up with a black image, even though there are a few stars in all the shots.

Anyway, last lunar image for the night, single shot processed in Paint.Net...

post-40030-0-65664100-1446495184_thumb.p

Ok, I found out what I needed to do in Registax, I haven't been adjusting the wavelets :rolleyes2:  The program settings by default are set quite low. I had to bump most of the sliders up to around the middle before it brought out the detail.

Here is the final image, 3 single shots processed in Registax and finished off in Paint.Net.

post-40030-0-73775000-1446530212.png

Thanks guys, I'm quite pleased with it but would like to do much better. It's amazing what can be achieved from a few average shots and the difference from an unprocessed, unedited shot to a few stacks is quite noticable. I won't be doing any more Lunar for a while until the next time it's around :smiley:

Trying to capture my first DSO, M42. 

We get a lot of that here Charl.

Stayed up late tonight/this morning and it was, what seemed to be a cool, dry, clear night with no moon, the best yet! So I had to get my gear out (as we all do). I think I captured M42 but with no tracking and guesstimating exposure times for a while there, even at 2 seconds I got star trails. But the up side is i have smudges on each shot :smiley:

This stuff is just too addictive.

yer i know what you mean mate, my addicsion started in about 1969 with my parents letting my stop up to watch the sky at night, ive been hooked ever since, and M42 is addictive too, i have to at least look at it or take a pic everytime its in view which is nearly every clear night in winter. goodluck mate and clear skys charl.

haha, I was born that year. Every night I'm ouside, I gotta look up, dunno why that is.

2nd attempt at M42 and that too will never see the light of day, not on here any way. M42 was almost directly above me about 2:30am so I had to give it a go. A little wiser for it and glad I gave it a go. Maybe 3rd time lucky. I guess I should start to learn  polaralignment and some stars...

Cheers Charl.

Archived