NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maxvision 2'': 34mm/68° or 24mm/82°?

wasteland

After buying a powermate to expand my magnification collection toward the highest end feasible in my f/6 8'' Dob, I am now considering getting my first 2'' eyepiece to obtain a proper wide TFOV, compatible if not bigger with what is offered by my Omni 32mm plossl, but with a larger AFOV. Clearly I can't afford the TV's, so Nagler and Panoptics are out of the picture (the Delos and the Ethos are dreams to be fulfilled when I finally have a stable income).

I currently own a 20mm 68° maxvision and I must say that I've been quite pleased with it's performance. I understand that the Maxvicsion 68° series uses a scaled down design, so the relative performance of the 34mm should be similarly satisfactory for me. Enters the 24mm 82° maxvision, which is currently selling at 100€ at dresser.com, which should be a steal. I can take the 82° field with some difficulty, but when I finally manage to keep clear of the blackouts I must say that the experience is really rewarding (the Double Cluster in the 11mm 82° ES is nothing short of a stunning view!).

So, is there any clear reason I should go for one or the other or is it down to my personal taste/choice?

Thanks!

With your scope you'll have nearly 2 degrees TFoV with the 34/68 and an exit pupil of 5.7mm, so it should be OK. With the PowerMate it'll be a 13.5mm effective focal length. I gather it is quite a large eyepiece so balancing may be more of an issue.

The 24/82 gives 1.6 degrees and 4mm. But, as you say, blackouts with the 82* can also be an issue.

So in answer to your question, I would say it is down to your personal taste which you prefer! If it were my money, I'd take the 24/82.

With your scope you'll have nearly 2 degrees TFoV with the 34/68 and an exit pupil of 5.7mm, so it should be OK. With the PowerMate it'll be a 13.5mm effective focal length. I gather it is quite a large eyepiece so balancing may be more of an issue.

The 24/82 gives 1.6 degrees and 4mm. But, as you say, blackouts with the 82* can also be an issue.

So in answer to your question, I would say it is down to your personal taste which you prefer! If it were my money, I'd take the 24/82.

Unfortunately the only powermate within my wallet's reach was the 1.25'' 2.5x, so it will be of no use with those 2'' oculars. I've got the middle range quite covered, though, between the 20/68, the 11/82 and the Omni 15mm (which I plan to eventually phase out in favour of a TV 15mm plossl, which is hear is very good and can be found for as little as 50£ second hand!)

Hi,

Enters the 24mm 82° maxvision, which is currently selling at 100€ at dresser.com, which should be a steal. I can take the 82° field with some difficulty, but when I finally manage to keep clear of the blackouts I must say that the experience is really rewarding (the Double Cluster in the 11mm 82° ES is nothing short of a stunning view!).

So, is there any clear reason I should go for one or the other or is it down to my personal taste/choice?

I own 2 ES 2" eyepieces, I have the Maxvicsion 24mm 82 FOV 2" eyepieces, the views from these eyepieces are good.

I notice that you have a Televue PowerMate 2.5. This has a 1.25" barrel so you will not be able to use it with any 2" eyepiece.

Was it your intention to use a Barlow/PowerMate device with your new proposed purchase?

Secondly, dresser.com ?, I cannot find eyepieces on this site, was it Bresser.com that you intended?

Incidentally, it is difficult to find a brand new Maxvision 24 on the market.

The choice is yours.....

Cheers

Adrian

I have Explore Scientific Argon Purged (optically the same as Maxvision but better build, with Argon purging (read dustproof, dewproof, waterproof - something I have appreciated in the past few days here in the UK as we had amazing levels of dewing!) units in 24mm 68 degree, 28mm 68 degree and 34mm 68 degree. I used to have a 6.7mm 82 and Maxvisions 16mm and 20mm as well.

FOV preference is a very personal thing. It also seems to vary with brand. Generally, I much prefer the 68 degree fields, as I find them more comfortable, zero kidney beaning in my scopes (F9.5 and F15) and I prefer also the build quality of the ES versus the Maxvisions. But I also have a superb Meade 14mm UWA 84 degree (older series 4000) which is a fantastic eyepiece and with that one I don't have any problems viewing the 80+ degree field, truly spectacular, whereas with the ES .6.7mm I did.

Of the ES eps I have used, the standout one for me is the ES 34mm 68. It's a real hand grenade, but the build is superb and the views of for instance the Perseus double cluster are just stunning - sharp, pinpoint stars, with visible shades of star colours, right to the edge of the field. I really like the 24mm 68, (a 1.25" barrel), but the 34mm (2" barrel) for low power wider views is simply awesome - the Maxvision version should be just the same,optically. You might have a balance issue with your Dob, but at F6 it should be sharp across most of the field, if not all. 

By the way, as at 13.00 UK time today, Telescope House are still offering the ES24mm 68 as being in stock for £69 - a complete giveaway, and remember this is the ES better build version!  http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Explore-Scientific-68--Ar-purged-Eyepiece-24mm.html  . They are offering the Maxvision version of the 34mm/68mm for £103, a bargain, and in stock - http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Explore-Scientific-68--Maxvision-Eyepiece-34mm.html

Also, check out Bresser.de Sale items and Display items for bargains on both ES and Maxvision. Get your plastic out!!

Dave

Addendum: just clicking on the Telescope House site again - the ES 24mm 68deg is clearly shown in their list at £69..but when you click on it to order, the price jumps to £121!!! - That's a bit naughty, as I bought one only a few weeks ago at £69, and as they are advertising it on their site at £69, maybe they should honour that price...

Dave

Addendum: just clicking on the Telescope House site again - the ES 24mm 68deg is clearly shown in their list at £69..but when you click on it to order, the price jumps to £121!!! - That's a bit naughty, as I bought one only a few weeks ago at £69, and as they are advertising it on their site at £69, maybe they should honour that price...

Dave

Still for £69 at FLO  :smiley:

Archived