Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the most distant object you've seen?

Size9Hex

The most distant globular cluster I've seen was in the Andromeda galaxy as a tiny fuzzball making a triangle with two foreground stars. Used a map I found online and a 14inch under fairly light-polluted skies.   

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most distant globular cluster I've seen was in the Andromeda galaxy as a tiny fuzzball making a triangle with two foreground stars. Used a map I found online and a 14inch under fairly light-polluted skies.   

Thats one of my next targets :smiley:

Actually being able to see objects in other galaxies is a relatively new experience for me despite many years in the hobby. They are tough challenges though !

The Andromeda Galaxy is the furthest thing I've seen directly so far but the most distant object I would like to observe once I've got a big enough scope is a blazar called BL Lacerte - it's only about 1bn light years away so not as far as some of the objects already mentioned. One of my criteria for a big scope when I get one is going to be one capable of spotting that under dark skies (it is a variable object, stellar in appearance and varies from mag 14 to 17).

The Andromeda Galaxy is the furthest thing I've seen directly so far but the most distant object I would like to observe once I've got a big enough scope is a blazar called BL Lacerte...

That's me straight off to google to learn what a blazer is! Thanks for posting. Good to learn something new. Good luck with your plans to observe it too.

Archived