NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's good to observe at the moment?

dannyboy

After being on holiday, then being ill for 3 weeks, I haven't used my scope for about a month, and was still getting to grips with what best to look at anyway.

Obviously the view of the southern skies from my back garden have now changed somewhat - Orion has disappeared and the great views of Saturn don't seem to be quite so good. Oh and it doesn't get dark until 9pm!

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend looking for at the moment, bearing in mind I live in a fairly light polluted area, and best views are East & South.

Looking on Stellarium, it looks like Jupiter might be a good bet over the next few weeks? Thanks :angry:

M13 will be real nice for the next few months.

?object=m13

Also M57 will be quite nice - but it is quite a bit smaller than M13. But still nice all the same. Best left till after midnight though.

?object=m57

The moon is at a nice age as well, lots of shadow details etc...

Cheers

Ant

The summer globs are making an appearance and usually take light pollution pretty well, M13, M3, M5, M92 etc. I saw Jupiter for the first time this morning, its VERY low and I'm not expecting too much from it this year.

M27 will soon be starting to appear at a more civilised time in the east. LP will strip out the outer areas but you might still see the core ok. How about some double stars - Alberio is always a good view but there are lots out there as Lunator will tell you.

fantastic, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've looked at the nebula in Orion's belt but not looked for any Messier objects yet, so looking forward to it. Hopefully will get some clear skies over the weekend :thumbleft:

Archived