Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying a used 8" edge

I have the opportunity to buy a used 8" edge hd at 25% off the price of a new one. It is described as have a barely visible ding on the ota and a slight nick in the paint. This would be my first scope and I don't have a mount yet to actual test it out upon arrival. If I were to buy it could I sufficiently inspect it to make sure it is optically sound? and how would I go about this? or being a beginner should I probably just buy new to avoid any issues?  

thanks

Most astronomers are pretty honest when it comes to selling their equipment, so there's a very good chance the scope will be sound every respect. As its your first scope however, how certain are you that this design is the right one for you? Have you used this kind of scope before and compared its performance to that of Newtonians, refractors or Maksutov's? If not, it might be an idea to spend some time at your local astro club and try out the various scopes there. I mention this not to put you off buying it, but just to point out there are several very popular designs, each with its own advantages and drawbacks. Testing the water could prove advantageous.

Mike

That price is too high I think.

To give you some context, I bought a basically mint 8" EdgeHD, no dinks or scratches with a dew shield and Finder etc for £600, not the £850 odd you are looking at. Not sure how old the one you are looking at is, but I think you can get one for a better price.

Stu

Thanks, I decided to leave this scope at that price, and have actually changed my mind on my first scope anyway.

I plan on getting the orion 10" astrograph. I feel it is more bang for the buck and a mount and ep's would work with another scope if the newtonian doesn't is not my cup of, although I can't see any reason it would't be.

The word local is relevant to astro clubs here in the sticks so I will most likely dive in on my own.

Archived