Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whats to see October/November??

astromackem

Hi all,

Dark nights starting to come back in so its almost time to get the scope out again.

I'm hearing the planets are out at dawn at the moment- and im certainly more of a night owl than an early riser.

Whats to see between the hours of 7-11pm in the UK at the moment in city suburbs? Just the moon of major interest? Any planets at all?

Thanks

Hi all,

Dark nights starting to come back in so its almost time to get the scope out again.

I'm hearing the planets are out at dawn at the moment- and im certainly more of a night owl than an early riser.

Whats to see between the hours of 7-11pm in the UK at the moment in city suburbs? Just the moon of major interest? Any planets at all?

Thanks

Hi, at the moment Uranus and Neptune are visible. I have never seen them through a scope, so I'm waiting for the weather to clear. Saturn (the only naked eye visible planet at the moment I think) sets early in the evening.

M27

M13

M31

M57

Double cluster

Albireo binary

Those would probably be the easiest at the moment. The first 3 on my list above are faint fuzzy patches of sky, so don't expect to see photographic images of them

Not sure i'd be very confident of finding any of those in my suburban skies right next to a street light.

Thanks though.

Believe me if you start looking for m13 with your 200 skiliner ull find wonders . find andromeda ull just see a fuzzy patch but i got the most amazing feels seeing them . I suggest you download stellarium take some time decide your targets and go hunting . See the map carefully and try to navigate using stars . I live in a colony with sodium vapour lamps at every 30 meters. But that doesnt kills the pleasure . Try some light pollution minimising tricks like floging ur tube and if not comfortab;e with opening your scope make a hood that'll surely help keep out some extra reflections , sharpening your views .
The objects i suggets at the moment are :

The pleiades (the basic)

M13 

M31

get up early and view mercury venus and jupiter all in one session . 

ull get a lot of surprises . wait for some time and ull se the orion nebula . 

i have a 130 mm telescope and i really enjoyed them all .

go out and explore !

(excuse my indecency)

thank you

clear skies .!

Not sure i'd be very confident of finding any of those in my suburban skies right next to a street light.

Thanks though.

I have exactly the same scope as you, and even with my relatively light polluted skies all the objects I listed appear as 'bright' - or at least easily visible. They are the probably the brightest and easiest objects in the sky at the moment, so if you can't see them then I don't what you will!

Even if you aren't completely confident that you will see them, it's definitely worth a try - that's what astronomy's all about!

To reduce the damage done by the streetlight you mentioned, you could lie a towel over your head and eyepiece, which should block out most of the glare.

Even if you aren't completely confident that you will see them, it's definitely worth a try - that's what astronomy's all about!

Spot on. Most of the highlights of the last week or two for me were things that I didn't have much hope of seeing.

Archived