Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mesu + PHD2 + SGP - Meridian Flip Issue

gnomus

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a problem that is almost certainly of my own making.

I finally got my Mesu all set up and ready for imaging.  I chose the Pelican nebula.  It started well with really good tracking performance as per the PHD2 graphs. 
Only occasional corrections needed by PHD2 and errors reported of less than 0.2 of a pixel.  About 50 mins in it was time for the meridian flip.  SGP moved the mount correctly, it plate solved and centred on the Pelican, and I thought all was well with the world.  Then ....... PHD2 was all over the place.  The red line (Dec) appeared to be fine (but I am not sure if any corrections were issued so cannot be sure).  The blue line (RA) however was odd.  When the RA moved enough to need a correction, PHD2 would issue the correction, but the Mesu would move in the opposite direction.  Within a short period of time the blue line fell off the graph.  
Clearly, I must have something set incorrectly. I have been through every setting I can see in Sitech.exe, SGP, and PHD2 and it is not at all clear what is wrong.  Prior to the Mesu I had used a CGEM and it was flipping exactly as it should.  When I set up SGP for the Mesu, I simply amended the settings I had for the CGEM in SGP and saved the new configuration.
Can anyone assist?
I have my Sitech configuration set up as per Steve Richard's introductory guide - like so:
post-39248-0-68653600-1444469078_thumb.j

Hi,

Don't have this mount myself by just checked with someone who does and uses it with SGP, he does not have the bottom option ticked (Reverse RA Guide Mode...) - this is because SGP will tell PHD2 to reverse guiding commands after flip. Also check that in PHD2 Brain, Guiding tab that "reverse dec output after meridian flip" is UNTICKED.

Hope that helps

trevor

Hi,

Don't have this mount myself by just checked with someone who does and uses it with SGP, he does not have the bottom option ticked (Reverse RA Guide Mode...) - this is because SGP will tell PHD2 to reverse guiding commands after flip. Also check that in PHD2 Brain, Guiding tab that "reverse dec output after meridian flip" is UNTICKED.

Hope that helps

trevor

Trevor

Thanks for checking with that friend of yours. That would certainly make sense. I will try that next time I get a chance - quite possibly 2020 if Clear Outside is anything to go by!!!

I think you are getting a 'double RA flip' correction - SG Pro is doing one and SiTech is doing another so you end up with no flip correction! I agree that you should try unticking 'Reverse RA Guide Mode' but I'm afraid I don't use SG Pro so cannot confirm that this is absolutely the issue.

Hope it works.

I think you are getting a 'double RA flip' correction - SG Pro is doing one and SiTech is dong another so you end up with no flip correction! I agree that you should try unticking 'Reverse RA Guide Mode' but I'm afraid I don't use SG Pro so cannot confirm that this is absolutely the issue.

Hope it works.

So do I!

I am still waiting for an opportunity to test the 'new' settings.  Clear Outside promised me some clear skies last night.  Unfortunately, Clear Outside lied to me again!!  She is a fickle mistress.  I will report back once I get the chance.

Is this not answered above?? 

Do not set 'Reverse RA Guide Mode" is Sitech as SGP will flip the data so don't need set in Sitech

Thanks again for your advice.  I was finally able to get some imaging in tonight and with your suggestions for Sitech and PHD I had a successful meridian flip.  Could you pass on my gratitude to your friend with the Mesu?

Best wishes

Archived