Finally... On Band

cshahar

Hi Everyone:

I have been working to adjust to the right band on my daystar filter. There are buttons on my filter that control the bandwidth with the center point being 6562.8 ångströms. I could shift a total of 1.0 either to the blue or red wings. Unfortunately, these buttons don’t work on my filter. There was another option though. I downloaded the Quantum Control software. I found an old serial cable, and started fiddling around with the settings. I think the results were worth it. The first picture is shifted –0.8 in the blue and really shows nice contrast and detail; the second is shifted –1.0 and is still good. I will try smaller increments between –.01 and –1.0 in the blue wing when the weather cooperates to find the optimal band.

These images were taken today under poor seeing conditions (2/5), brisk wind, and passing high clouds. I hurried through the focusing and did not even bother creating flats. It was a real challenge to come up with a viable result, and it is possible that the -0.8 image is better than the -1.0 version simply because of passing clouds. Both are certainly better than what I have been getting up to now. I will have to experiment further...

Thanks,

-Charles

post-6894-0-79770700-1443741739_thumb.jp

post-6894-0-10034700-1443741751_thumb.jp

Archived