Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to go next then.

Thanks to Gaz to opening up my eyes to the fact that maybe I'm having a little tunnel vision. with regard to scope upgrades, I like the ST102 so figured that the next step would be the same scope but bigger. :oops:

I would like to look at the planets from time to time, but I have no real means to image them (300D isn't really ideal). So if I wanted to observe mainly Deep Sky Stuff, open clusters, Globular clusers and maybe the occasional real fuzzy (galaxies/nebula). Which scope would you guys go for then?

I'm guessing that with the big chip size of the 300D I wouldn't have to go for a F4 or F5 to get the field of view needed for some of the bigger things... But ideally I would like something that would sit on the EQ5 and that I could use for DSO's and the planets (with a barlow?).

I haven't really got a fixed budget but can't spend thousands... If it ends up being more than I have now then I'll just wait a little longer and save up :)

Any Thoughts?

Cheers Al.

Sorry Admins, think I may have posted this in the wrong section :oops: I saw Equipment and thought that this would be the place.

Then I noticed "Equipment discussion", sorry but I can't move the thread - and I don't really want to re type it.

Al.

Al,

I wouldn't worry they're not not strict around here on what gets posted where! :)

IMHO the best all round scope you can put on an EQ5 is a 8" f6 reflector (or if you've got the money, maybe a 9.25" SCT)

You can pick the reflector up for around £200 and it might be worth your while spending an extra £50 on steel legs for you EQ5 if you hav't already got them, they make a big difference....

Gaz

Cheers Gaz,

I love the idea of the C9.5 but I think that it would be too heavy for the EQ5?

The 200 F/6 would be a nice scope for deep sky, but would be still too short for planets (I read somewhere that you need at least F8 for a decent planet scope).

So I was thinking about maybe a 6" F/8, just long enough to make planets worthwhile, and still a good field of view for Deep sky.

Also as collimation isn't my fav past time, F8 is easier to collimate - is that right?

Cheers

Al.

Hi Al,

I used to have the Helios 8" F/5 reflector on the EQ5 mount it was ok on there those plantery images on my site were taken with it..

IMHO i would keep the ST102 and go for a planetry scope something like the SKYMAX 127 this would suit your EQ5 no problems thus you wouldnt need to buy another mount..

James :)

Al,

yep, f8 is easier to collimate than f6 but it only really gets hard at around f4, so I wouldn't let that affect your choice.

Same with the planets, f8 would be better but if the cost of that is going down to a 6' mirror instead of 8' then you've lost more than you've gained so to speak. I think a read in another of you posts you like looking at globs (same as me!)? If so then a 8' scope is the point where you really begin to be able to resolve the stars to the core.

Either way, anything over f5-f6 is fine for a reflector , don't get too hung up on the theory you need a long f number to view the planets, it's not really the case. It's better but not essential, aperture always wins, a 8" f8 scope would be the best of both worlds, unfortuneatly it would also be a bit big!

Your EQ5 would take a 9.25 SCT if you had the steel legs (it's what Celestron sell the scope on, their CG5 mount is a "souped up" EQ5).

As James said I'd keep your 102, they are a nice, small alround scope.

Gaz

Sorry Admins, think I may have posted this in the wrong section :oops: I saw Equipment and thought that this would be the place.

Then I noticed "Equipment discussion", sorry but I can't move the thread - and I don't really want to re type it.

Al.

Done for you, Al. :)

I know your not keen on collimation. I wasn't keen to start with however, once nailed it becomes a 5min operation (worry not).

Gaz is right. An 8" f8 would be a nice alrounder. A small 127 mak would be smashing planet scope next to your wide field ST102. Both small scopes on a nice steady EQ5!!!

Just a thought! :)

I'm thinking that maybe the Mak127 for the planets and ST102 for DSO's will be the way forward.

Thanks for the advice all.

And thanks Andy for moving my ill placed thread!

Al.

Al,

You might wantr to think about getting a secondhand setup, if you buy from the dedication astro sites rather than Ebay it usually means the equipment has been well looked after.

As long as you don't pay silly prices and look after the gear yourself, you can usually try out stuff for free and sell it on for what you bought it for. A scope only really depricates from new after that you'll usually get your money back.

I know, James, Russ and myself are big fans of this "strategy"

Archived