Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

three galaxies - M31/M33/NGC 891

nytecam

Another brief session last night and first this autumn on three galaxies in the eastern sky eg M31 core [30s], M33 [100s] and edge-on gx NGC 891 [80s].  M33, with its many HII regions, is always difficult due to the relative faintness of a face-on gx under regular LP and thus not visited too often.   Use Classic Meade 30cm f/3.3 SCT+SX Lodestar-Cx2.  Data on images.

Nytecam

post-21003-0-06688400-1442853636.jpg

post-21003-0-38446000-1442853649.jpg

post-21003-0-79261200-1442853663.jpg

Didn't know they reclassified M1 as a galaxy... :grin: Sorry just had too. 

On the more serious note I think you pulled out quite a bit of detail for the short subs. M33 has very nice spiral arm detail and can be seen very clearly. Nicely done.

I've done that same "core plus dust lanes" view of M31 a couple nights recently myself.  It's a neat close up, but always leaves me wanting a way to get the whole thing in frame.  I was doing that this past weekend visually with a 100mm refractor under dark skies, and it was a satisfying view indeed.  I think I need a Hyperstar....

M33 is one of the few GX I have not been able to get a satisfying EAA view of in my light-polluted Boston world.  Low brightness, face on...  The eyepiece view of this one in my 18" Newtonian under dark skies beats anything I have been able to do with the Lodestar.  This is very different than the smaller, brighter GX or PN, where the Lodestar beats visual even with a big scope...

Also a great suggestion re: M31 GCs.  Gotta give that a try.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone for your interest and likes ;-)

Here's another version of M33 highlighting the bright HII region NGC 604 top left eg Nf the core - discovered by William Herschel on September 11, 1784 some 231yrs ago -  a sobbering thought for us 'experts' of today - with the Hubble view for comparison,  

There are many HII regions in M33 - most in the extended field beyond my pic.  Once you've got your pic there's much to look for beyond the casual but whatever 'floats-your boat'  ;-)

Nytecam

post-21003-0-13055300-1442905117.jpg

That's a massive HII region - I did a bit of research and apparently if NGC 604 was at the same distance as the Orion Nebula it would be shine brighter than Venus - whatever that means!

Robert - if you rise before dawn and look due east behold a dazzling planet Venus casting shadows on the wall behind you :-)

Nytecam

Archived