NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A night of first's for me!

Foo Fita

Had a great night tonight. Went out with the Bino's to view Mercury near the Moon. Had to drive to a hill top about a mile up the road as I cant see West from my garden. I was overjoyed with this, but then saw Mars for the first time also! (I've probably seen them before but just thought they were stars. Knowing what they really are makes it a 'first' in my mind).

Anyway, came home about 10.30 and got the scope in the back garden. After about 20 mins I managed to find M13, which had eluded me so far. A bit faint and fuzzy but viewing is not great from my location, and the sky wasn't too dark. Started to get a little cocky by this time so had a look for M92 while I was in the area. No luck here, don't know if my scope's up to it (Skywatcher 130PM), or the skies just not dark enough.

Not to be dismayed though, I had another look at M13. ('cos I know where it is now, so I can). Showed my Son, who's response was "is that it?". Almost smacked him and sent him to bed, but he's 21 and bigger than me so I thought twice.

Anyway enough rambling, just wanted to share my excitement. I think I'm learning. :angry:

Great stuff! The old "is that it?" is a common question from the family members of astronomers I'm afraid - but like Carol says if he's not impressed with Saturn.....

I did show him Saturn the other night and he was quite impressed, which is why I think he was a little disappointed at M13. Didn't seem to matter that it is way further than Saturn!

Another clear night so hoping to make more progress but noticed my lovely neighbour has a fire going. May have to go and throw some water over her it! :angry:

:hello1: Well good for you!! Learning what's up there is a lot of fun. Btw, try showing Saturn to your Son. If he still says "is that it?" then you can smack him and send him to bed. :):angry:

:(:p You made tea come out my nose!

Just showed saturn to one of the wife's friends. No need to smack her!

Nice report Foo Fighta. M19 should be easily visible in your scope. Its just one of those "difficult" targets, not for its size or brightness, it just seems hard to get in your fov.

Saturn has been a total winner for me so far in the 'If you can give me a lift to a place with less street lights and a darker sky - you can see so much more through the telescope!' - while conveniently perusing Hubble images online at the same time (I don't drive - inner city London).

It did really impress my 5 year old niece who is also amazed with lunar views - but before I started thinking I had a potential child prodigy in the field of astronomy, I was abruptly bought down to Earth with one simple inquisitive and genuine question from her regarding the Moon - "...Is it made of Cheese?".

Archived