Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PI Processing Power

Shelster1973

After my marathon image integration the other night, realsie that PI is a lover of processing power.

This has now got me thinking is it worth upgrading my current setup?

Am not going to be looking for a whole new rig, just thinking of upgrading the processor to see a gain.

At present I have an i5 2500K fitted and whith not looking to want to change anything other than the CPU was thinking of going for an i7 2600K.

Do you think I would see much of an increase?

Smally comparison is here

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah had thought that, but was after a samity check really.

Have thought of newer CPU upgrade, but need a way to only change CPU and motherboard as am more than happy with my graphics cards and the 32 GB of RAM I have in there.

Plus it is watercooled so have to factor that change in too....new CPU will need a new waterblock.

Have you taken a look at the swap file settings? (Edit -> Global Preferences - > Directories and Network.  Remember to hit the circular blue "Apply Global" button on the dialog after making any changes.)

Look at the tool-tip on the Swap storage directories for advice.  There are also a few threads on the PI forums about swap and performance.  Perhaps counter-intuitively, it might be worth using some of your 32GB of memory as a RAM disk for swap rather than as normal application memory.

Have you taken a look at the swap file settings? (Edit -> Global Preferences - > Directories and Network.  Remember to hit the circular blue "Apply Global" button on the dialog after making any changes.)

Look at the tool-tip on the Swap storage directories for advice.  There are also a few threads on the PI forums about swap and performance.  Perhaps counter-intuitively, it might be worth using some of your 32GB of memory as a RAM disk for swap rather than as normal application memory.

Did notice the swap file stuff while I was sat teiddling my thumbs waiting, but have yet to get ona nd make any changes to see if it makes a difference.

Have a free night on thursday, so can have a long old play then

I am not that sure the cpu you are proposing would be a minor upgrade considering it has twice the threads to work with 8 instead of 4.

maybe someone with that processor can chime in and run the PI benchmark as well.

edit: on second thought the benefits would not be mind blowing in any case :D more like 20% speed up i guess.

It can run 8 threads, but it's still only 4 core so usually there is just a small change in performance.

2500k seems to get around 4800 cpu points, 2600k seems to get around 5000-5200 cpu points, both at standard frequency.

Upgrading to a newer cpu/mb will give a better performance gain for your money.

I am not that sure the cpu you are proposing would be a minor upgrade considering it has twice the threads to work with 8 instead of 4.

maybe someone with that processor can chime in and run the PI benchmark as well.

edit: on second thought the benefits would not be mind blowing in any case :D more like 20% speed up i guess.

20% is better than nowt

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

20% is better than nowt

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

True that,

but Xplode is right : the ROI of getting a new mb/cpu is superior to the 20% increase :smiley:

(all that cpu talking got me into thinking i need to upgrade, darn computers... :evil: )

Wow. I need to look into this swap thing! I only have 16gb of RAM but it should be ok right?

Phil

You should be fine. 

I would recommend 6-8gb ramdisk with 16gb ram.

You can set your regular temp files to go on your ramdisk too and then they get cleaned every time you restart :)

You may find that the increase in benchmark score does not translate to an apparent increase in performance, because swapping to disk influences the benchmark greatly yet many (most) operations of PI don't use it. It's CPU brute force that rules really.

ChrisH

You may find that the increase in benchmark score does not translate to an apparent increase in performance, because swapping to disk influences the benchmark greatly yet many (most) operations of PI don't use it. It's CPU brute force that rules really.

ChrisH

You are correct!

I did a test now, the test was BatchPreprocessing with stacking, 30 lights, 21 flats and 1 master bias, all 20mpix files.

Results are 17m 15s with the ramdisk, 20 sec slower with 2 SSD's in Raid 0 and 6-7 min slower with a 5400rpm laptop disk connected with USB3.

For the SSD and HDD tests i used the disks for both storage of the files and for swap.

It would be nice if PI would fire more threads in parallel during its processing. Now all steps are done in sequential order (especially to processes with a apply to all button or when executing  BartchPreProcessing)...

Archived