Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Diamond Ring Nebula

scarp15

NGC 6894 (also referred to as PK069-02-1), is a mag 12.3 Planetary located within the neck of Cygnus. It came to my attention in this months Astronomy Now and I have added it to my (aspiration) list for this months targets.  It does not seem to be referenced in Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas, but I have the coordinates - RA 20.16 Dec 30.34 (perhaps vd128?). An O-III and dark sky is required.

Whilst I wait for an opportunity to venture out (and to access somewhere with dark skies) I would like to learn of accounts from anyone who has successfully observed this.

Cheers

I observed it on the night of 13th-14th May 2013 with my 12" f4.9 flextube at my dark site. It was a blustery night with much cloud and some rain, and during my session (which only began at 20 past midnight on the morning of 14th after a long wait) I was only able to observe two objects: NGC 6894 and NGC 5958, seen during brief clear periods. I didn't measure SQ given the poor weather but clear patches would have been about SQ 21.2.

Here are extracts from my notes made at the scope:

Time 00.53. Been trying for NGC 6894 near 41 Cyg - but never enough clear time to get it. More spots of rain and thick cloud...

Time 01.08. NGC 6894 (PN) easily visible in 24mm [baader Hyperion zoom at lowest power, x62.3]. At 8mm [highest power, x186.8] annular shape just evident with averted vision. UHC [Lumicon] improves it a little. pF, pS, R [pretty faint, pretty small, round] - slightly oval with possibly irregular outline. Similar to M57 but much fainter and smaller.

Time 01.26. NGC 5958 (galaxy) pF, pS, iR, glbM [pretty faint, pretty small, irregularly round, gradually a little brighter towards the middle]. Seen in brief moments between cloud, but the iR [irregularly round] shape was apparent to me. Very similar to the PN above, apart from annularity of latter.

Time 01.49. Cloud, wind and rainspots have never given up - so quit while I'm ahead and pack up.

Just looked it up in DSO browser which lists it as mag 14.4 with a surface brightness of 22.5 mags per arcsec. Sounds hard

Yes I read this account Micheal, during my search I found references to 14.4 and 12.3 such as here

Deep-Sky Companions: The Secret Deep - Stephen James O'Meara - Google Books

It's in Uranometria All Sky Edition. It forms a triangle with 41 and 39 Cygni. It's a bit south of the variable star V2012 Cyg.

I do not have the Uranometria All Sky Edition John so thanks for that. Cygni 41 and 39 noted in Sky & Telescope I will try and locate V2012 Cyg.

I observed it on the night of 13th-14th May 2013 with my 12" f4.9 flextube at my dark site. It was a blustery night with much cloud and some rain, and during my session (which only began at 20 past midnight on the morning of 14th after a long wait) I was only able to observe two objects: NGC 6894 and NGC 5958, seen during brief clear periods. I didn't measure SQ given the poor weather but clear patches would have been about SQ 21.2.

Here are extracts from my notes made at the scope:

Time 00.53. Been trying for NGC 6894 near 41 Cyg - but never enough clear time to get it. More spots of rain and thick cloud...

Time 01.08. NGC 6894 (PN) easily visible in 24mm [baader Hyperion zoom at lowest power, x62.3]. At 8mm [highest power, x186.8] annular shape just evident with averted vision. UHC [Lumicon] improves it a little. pF, pS, R [pretty faint, pretty small, round] - slightly oval with possibly irregular outline. Similar to M57 but much fainter and smaller.

Time 01.26. NGC 5958 (galaxy) pF, pS, iR, glbM [pretty faint, pretty small, irregularly round, gradually a little brighter towards the middle]. Seen in brief moments between cloud, but the iR [irregularly round] shape was apparent to me. Very similar to the PN above, apart from annularity of latter.

Time 01.49. Cloud, wind and rainspots have never given up - so quit while I'm ahead and pack up.

Thanks for the description acey, looking potentially like a similar weather forecast for this weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got this object tonight. Far from ideal circumstances, making the most of clear patches from an otherwise cloudy sky. To begin the session I observed M57, bright and clear with my 21mm, lumicon OIII and 14" dob. I then positioned the telrad towards 41 and 39 Cygni and drifted across towards the 'neck' of Cygnus.  NGC 6894 was located and I increased magnification to 13mm and 8mm. It was fairly faint and round and with some averted vision I could detect the ring structure. I was not observing in great conditions and after cloud came in I paused and returned to it a little later. Anyhow John's advice on locating and acey's description were very helpful and accurate, It was hardly worth using the SQM, but when it was clear enough I took a reading of 20.9. One to try for again sometime in more favourable circumstances.

Archived