NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A teaser...

Stratis

One sub!

post-31110-0-66241000-1441498232_thumb.p

I love the QSI / KAF8300 combination! 

This is just mono until my Astrodon LRGBs arrive but I couldnt resist a clear sky.... I still have some catastrophically bad autoguiding issues to solve (either I cant polar align or my polar scope is completely, utterly off centre) but in the meanwhile I'm just practicing :)

This is my on-the-fly processing (currently capturing NGC 7380 as I type...) :

post-31110-0-83562800-1441503095_thumb.p

I have 10x300secs of data, moonlit night sadly but what can you do. This is processed with 5mins DeepSkyStacker levels twiddling only, nothing complicated.

Can I combine DSLR-sourced colour data with this Luminance image?

I have an old attempt on this object with the Canon 6D, which is a bit rubbish but it does have valid colour in it. 

Does anyone know a way to combine the two?  :huh:

You can do this but the trouble is that the colour is what DSLRs do least well. Unless given a big dither they tend to produce a background sky with colour noise and the shallow well depth can mean limited star colour. Both propblems can be addressed tough.

Registar is the tool of choice, for sure.

Your single sub is a beauty anyway. Really good quality.

Olly

Another clear night, another couple of preliminary stretches....

post-31110-0-96335900-1441594472.png

Hercules Cluster. I've imaged this before in DSLR so hoping to combine it with this data somehow, if not its a bit of fun.

post-31110-0-26600500-1441594478.png

Bubble Nebula.... an extreme challenge for a 4" ED doublet on an HEQ-5.

Ok... here goes...

This is my first ever attempt at a fully-processed HaS2O3 image. It needs a lot of work.

post-31110-0-51217000-1441679387_thumb.p

I think my dark calibration is off. There really are a lot of hot pixels despite -20C on the CCD. The stars are bloated due to my mount not really tracking that well for longer exposures (these are 10min subs on the HEQ-5). I've never tried aligning colour channels before and I think I screwed up the method of adding the Luminance channel (I used Multiply... think I'm supposed to layer-blend...) but I'm reasonably happy with it as a first try. I have a very long way to go.... I have no idea how the pros are getting such noise-free images.

Archived