NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can PixInsight do this?

Hi.

Now i am at the position where i can afford PI, but i want to know if i will get my moneys worth.

There are three key points fore me to by PI now.

I have previously had the 40 day trial, and at the point i allowed me to get the best versions of several images.

However in the past month i have used Photoshop CS5 (trial) plus carbonis actions and with the help of this DSLR - LLRGB tutorial i have improved on all my images.

So i want to know if PI can do a similar prosess to the LLRGB tutorial.

Mostly there is three tools that is werry helpful.

Saturate Block -> Three copies of layer, setting top layer to luminocity, middle layer to screen and merge the tree layers.

This increases saturation without adding much noise.

lab color -> Make duplicate of document, flatten and convert to lab mode.

This allows saturating the a, or b channel effectively saturating reds or blues.

And Screen mask invert -> To pull out faint nebulosity.

Also Photoshop makes automating prosesses into action scripts as easy as recording your steps. Does PI have a similar function? I know PI can have actions scripted in JavaScript, but does it have a way to "record" steps.

I really want to make some mosaics where i image "lets say orion consellation" in 2-3 frames with a 50-80 mm lens, then fill out the nebulae with my 500mm telescope.

So far i have only found out that regi star can register subs of different FL, but i know PI have some advanced stacking tools. Can PI make a mosaic of combined 50-80mm and 500mm frames.

Not a let down if the frames has to be stacked individually first.

If i should by PI, i need to be able to have it as my only tool. Cannot by PI + regi star + PS CS5!

Thanks for all, and any input :)

Thanks for the link.

I watched a couple of his videos and seams like question 1 and 2 is answered. I noticed the histogram explorer generated js code for all the steps, so making scripts should be straight forward :)

Only thing left to figure out is the multi FL mosaic. I haven't seen any evidence that PI can do this.

If anyone knows please let me know.

Would be amazing to have a print of the orion constellation with a meter or so height and detailed nebulae in my living room :)

Thanks for the links. Werry nice tutorials.

Hovever both tutorials used images with matching focal lengths, so still not shure if it's possible to add details imaged with a higher fl to a mosaic.

Have tried googeling, but cannot find anything that covers it. I have seen images where there have been used a 50mm for wide field of wiew and a 200mm for the detailed objects, but not shure what software was used for the combining..

Why not ask the question on the PI forum? I've found that people are very helpful on there.

Good idea.

Tend to use stargazerslounge for all my astrophotography questions :)

Seams like they use manual userapproval, so it might be a while.

If i get a definite answer i'll post it here for convenience.

Hi

Pixinsight can register images of different focal length - sometimes very easily with star alignment and other times a little help is needed

if there are large field curvatures in play -pixinsight can use a artificial star field and register to this 

And  of course pixinsight has some of the best mosaic tools there are

Regards

Harry

Archived