Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Death of the star chart?

dmk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst playing around with my new toy,It occured to me that if many newcomers are purchasing 'Goto' systems, would the ability to even read  a star chart be necessary?

I'm no expert when it comes to reading sky maps, but I managed to find my way (most of the time ) with my old refractor and a planisphere.

Foolhardy is the sailor who goes to sea, armed with only electronic navigational aids.  :BangHead:

Yes, in the same way that even with GPS systems, old fashioned OS maps still have their place. I would also suggest that many newcomers to telescopes are not newcomers to astronomomy and like myself buy a GOTO but have some knowledge of the sky from using binoculars.

Zakalwe, thank you for your post!  :)  If the book is still going I would take it off your hands  :)

Yes, in the same way that even with GPS systems, old fashioned OS maps still have their place. I would also suggest that many newcomers to telescopes are not newcomers to astronomomy and like myself buy a GOTO but have some knowledge of the sky from using binoculars.

I have a basic understanding of constellations and the physics behind starts but I'm just starting out viewing them.  I will be purchasing binoculars very soon  :)  what did you use to aquire your knowledge of the sky when using binoculars please?

Zakalwe, thank you for your post!  :)  If the book is still going I would take it off your hands  :)

I have a basic understanding of constellations and the physics behind starts but I'm just starting out viewing them.  I will be purchasing binoculars very soon  :)  what did you use to aquire your knowledge of the sky when using binoculars please?

You will find this thread of interest for binocular purchasing.... 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/252761-first-time-binocular-purchase-advice/

A star atlas and planisphere. I started by learning the main constellations, summer triangle and certain stars as pointers to help familiarise myself with some areas of the sky. Usually (and still do) I would pick a section of the sky, sit/lie in eg a deckchair and then see what I can find. HTH.  

A star atlas and planisphere. I started by learning the main constellations, summer triangle and certain stars as pointers to help familiarise myself with some areas of the sky. Usually (and still do) I would pick a section of the sky, sit/lie in eg a deckchair and then see what I can find. HTH.  

Thank you!  That sounds like a really good place to start  :)

Archived