NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What could this be?

groberts

Whilst visiting my daughter in Somerset at the weekend the sky was fantastically clear and dark (compared to my home in Surrey close to Gatwick!), so I thought I’d try to see if I could image any Perseids that might still be around using a basic DSLR on a tripod and intervalometer.

Despite excellent seeing conditions, the air was cool’ish and therefore prone to forming dew on the camera lens after just 20 minutes or so. At the time it didn’t seem as though I had captured anything of interest, however, looking at the images again I am intrigued by a white flash that appears between two pictures just 30 seconds apart – what could this be, it seems too short to be a Perseid?  Whatever it is was gone in the next image 5 seconds later.

Notes: The pictures were taken at 10.37pm on 16th August, looking approximately north east, probably at about >60elevation using a Canon EOS 700D + 18-55 lens, set at 18mm and f5.6. Both images are 30 secs exposures at ISO 1,600 with an interval of 5-seconds between pictures.  I have indicated the area of interest top-left with a red ring in the first image, with the white ‘object’ appearing in the following image.

post-34728-0-29749800-1439901144_thumb.j

post-34728-0-43885900-1439901170_thumb.j

Thanks, agree that there seems to be a slight left to right elongation, indicating possible movement but perhaps not enough to signify a satellite or junk given its a 30 sec exposure.

I was hoping for at least a Super Nova!

Archived