NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27

Got the scope set up outside, gonna go out soon and aiming to find the dumbbell nebula.

Know where it is and checked up how to get there with turn left at Orion and had a look on stellarium so hoping for some good luck!

Think ill have another go at m57 too. .

Craig

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it quite easy without an OIII, but the OIII does help with the Dumbell shape. Without it it just looks like a circular fuzzy. The pain is finding the really faint star to put the outer telrad circle on :(

Best of luck. Easier to find if you use a OIII or UHC filter.

I've thought about and read a bit about filters. . Though with a new baby money is sorta tight. . But would it be beneficial and is there a specific make or type I should look at? Is it worth getting a budget one or better (as always) to save for better quality?

So I think I had quite a successful night . .

First off I set up to look for m31 using my 25mm ep. I've found this in the past so knew where to look though when I found it, it was higher than I remember. Looked like a big white oval cloud, it's impressive but really wish the detail was more.

Then set about looking for m27. The problem I had here was the amount of stars visible through the scope around sagittae, so working out which was 14 vulpeculae was impossible! Sounds much easier when read in a book. . I ended up just roughly scanning the area and by chance landed on a fuzzy patch! Put my 15mm ep in and could see it as a more rectangular fuzzy but not dumbbell shape. . Comparing what I drew to stellarium now seems to match up so pretty sure it was m27.

Then thought I'd try m57 again after previous failures. Using the star hopping guide I can easily get to sulafat and sheliak. I then started scanning the area and noticed a very small patch of round light, very small! Put in the 8mm ep and it was still tiny, could make out a triangle of stars to one side of it which seems to match stellarium, so again sure this was it. But it was so small and lacked any detail.

I was also having condensation issues at this point so decided to call it a night after a quick visit to albireo.

So feeling much better tonight after a night of disappointment earlier in the week.

Craig

everytime you move it there is a chance that the primary/secondary will shift slightly(magnified by car journeys)

so to get the best views possible you should collimate on site but if you get it done just before you move and dont drive like a maniac its usually fine/good enough for visual work

No, no expense. The faster scopes like f/5 and f/4, collimation is more critical. The sweet spot on the primary mirror is larger on yours at f/7. If you read the Astrobaby link I posted above, you can make your own collimation cap and get it good with that alone.

• 2 weeks later...

So I made a start and sorted out the collimation cap. I think I get the theory of aligning the primary mirror, you just have to get the reflection of the secondary mirror central by adjusting the screws on the back of the scope right?

I got a bit confused with the secondary mirror part and need to have another go with this following the guide some more when I get a bit more time.

I did find a guide to collimation in the manual that came with my scope too.

First you adjust the secondary to make it central and round in the focuser tube. This can be done with a cap or a Cheshire. Then you try to make sure all mirror clips are visible and equally shown whilst trying to keep the mirror central and round. Then adjust the primary, have you got a Cheshire?

No I don't have one of those. . Is it essential?

I could see all the clips of the primary and think the mirror was central.

Not sure on the secondary mirror or its adjustment. I'll have to re visit that one.

As kalasinman, and company, has you on the right trail to collimate your scope, here's a site with some great software to help you track down some nice DSO's - such as Messier and Caldwell objects:

http://www.davidpaulgreen.com/software.html

They're all freeware, though you can donate if you wish. More funky icons for your desktop. :laugh:

Bon Appetite,

Dave

Keep at it, Craig! Collimation is a good idea and can even be enjoyable. I had a 130P which kept tuned up with just a homebrew collimation cap from an old 35mm film cap. I also used Astrobaby's instructions and got it down to as good as I could get. Once you get it done take a picture down the tube for future reference.

Regarding observations, it gets easier for sure. In the beginning it's a challenge to spot Andromeda and M57, but with time comes experience. M57 is quite small and I think the actual size of objects comes as a surprise to our preconceptions and we sometimes miss seeing something at first. Other targets are massive and I've missed them because I thought they would be smaller, and looked right through them!

Keep at it, Craig! Collimation is a good idea and can even be enjoyable. I had a 130P which kept tuned up with just a homebrew collimation cap from an old 35mm film cap. I also used Astrobaby's instructions and got it down to as good as I could get. Once you get it done take a picture down the tube for future reference.

Regarding observations, it gets easier for sure. In the beginning it's a challenge to spot Andromeda and M57, but with time comes experience. M57 is quite small and I think the actual size of objects comes as a surprise to our preconceptions and we sometimes miss seeing something at first. Other targets are massive and I've missed them because I thought they would be smaller, and looked right through them!

I've used the 35mm film container too. I'll need to find some more time in the next week or so to have another go.. I'm sure it will all make sense eventually!

I think your right about the size of things, images can be very misleading. I use foviewer deluxe app on my phone to get a good idea of how things should look through my various eye pieces.

m57 in my 130p looks like a proper smoke ring using my 15mm bst barlowed to 7,5mm is this what you seen ? because thats as good as it gets in a 5 inch scope

It was just a small circle of light to me, if indeed it was it. . I was suffering with condensation issues at the time too so difficult to tell. . I'll have another go soon and try my 15mm with a Barlow too.

I've thought about and read a bit about filters. . Though with a new baby money is sorta tight. . But would it be beneficial and is there a specific make or type I should look at? Is it worth getting a budget one or better (as always) to save for better quality?

An OIII filter is a lovely tool that can allow you to spot nebulae that you might not be able to see or simply see them better. Another nice filter in my opinion is the UHC. The former is a stronger filter (stars can become less obvious) and generally maximises the contrast of a nebula. On the other hand the UHC allows you to view more nebula extension. 

The darker the sky is the better these filters work!

Unless you are get really excited by nebulae, I would suggest you to wait a bit before buying one of these filters. Personally, I think that for getting the most out of them one should understand the concept of the exit pupil and how to play with his/her own eyepieces according to this concept. They can be quite expensive tools particularly if you get a 2". With this I am not saying not to buy them, but just to wait and master star hopping a bit better and to see other targets too. 

Among the top brands are Astronomik and Lumicon. Mine are Astronomik and love them. Great tools. Other people reported the Castell as a valid and cheaper alternative (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/69740-review-of-castell-2-oiii-filter/).

I cannot comment on these as I haven't ever used them.

Good luck and I look forward to reading your next reports! :rolleyes:

Piero 

I would suggest you to wait a bit before buying one of these filters. Personally, I think that for getting the most out of them one should understand the concept of the exit pupil and how to play with his/her own eyepieces according to this concept.

Ok, so I understand the exit pupil of each of my eps, but what you you mean by playing with this?

I am interested in seeing nebula more so will investigate these filters, may make a good birthday present!

Archived