NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27

Ok, so I understand the exit pupil of each of my eps, but what you you mean by playing with this?

I am interested in seeing nebula more so will investigate these filters, may make a good birthday present!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Sorry for my lack of clarity. I meant that there are targets which require large exit pupils (e.g. extended nebulae with low medium surface brightness) and other targets which can be seen with small exit pupils (e.g. planetary nebulae). All this selection is also conditioned by sky transparency and sky brightness (e.g. lack of astronomical twilight in the summer from large part of the UK). Therefore, you need to become aware of how to play with your eyepieces in order to find out the best way to see these targets (and it could be that with a certain eyepiece you don't see the target at all!). By the way I see this, It's a lot of fun, you need to have eyepieces covering the exit pupil options. 

If you live under a moderately light polluted sky, I would get something around 4-4.5mm exit pupil as the largest exit pupil.

Independently by the sky type, I would get something around 2-2.6mm exit pupil for boosting up when the object/sky allow this. And finally something around 1.3mm-1.0mm e.p. for planetary nebulae. 

I would also suggest you to start a new thread on this if you are really keen to buy one as it is always important to get as much information as possible. There are many threads on this topic on SGL which are worth reading too.   :rolleyes:

Cheers, 

Piero

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see. . I have 0.72mm, 1.16mm, 2.17mm and 3.61mm

That is okay! :) 

Of course, don't expect to see nebulae like photographic images. A filter can improve the view noticeably though, and if you have a chance, go to a dark place, as these filters work even better under dark skies!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Wow these filters aren't cheap are they! A skywatcher Olll comes in at 48 quid!

No, and it gets much higher!   Have a look at the prices for Astronomic and Baader  :Envy:

However, you gets what you pay for.

I think the photographs are what cause lots of the confusion and disappointment at times! :-)

That is very true. Observing DSO's takes patience, effort, skill, the right location and kit plus luck with the weather.

I do get a little sad when I see people dismissing observing because they don't see colour or images like Hubble. Under the right conditions views can be stunning, and the thought that you are seeing these amazing objects with your own eyes is pretty special ie real photons have travelled all the way from the object and are now hitting your retina.

The rewards are worth the effort in my book.

Archived