NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece Survey update

philsail1

Hello All,

Thanks for your recent replies. have received 29 so far. Keep them coming!

I am going to introduce another "code" into the survey. An SGL member has suggested a separate category for "Nagler" and Williams Optics "UWAN" eyepieces. He explains that these eyepieces are "Ultra Wide Field" and should (rightly) be categorised as such.

Hence, the additional code to put alongside these eyepieces will be "UWF" = Ultra Wide Field of View.

So once again, here is a reminder of the info I am looking for:-

1. The Make of your Telescope.

2. Make, type and size of eyepiece which in your opinion, works best with that scope.

(If the same eyepiece works well with any other scopes you have, please include them in

your information. At this stage, don't bother with names of suppliers, or prices of eyepieces

or scopes).

Also, could you put the following code(s) alongside the eyepiece:-

G = Good General Views

WF = Good Wide Field Views

NF(Narrow Field) = Good For Planetary Views.

ER = Good eye Relief.

UWF = Ultra Wide Field of View.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks,

Philsail1

Phil, I'm not sure how qualified I am to provide information like that. I have two scopes and five or six eps, but I'm not going to put the refractor outside untillater this month, and the most I can say is that I get good views with all the eps that I have left in my collection. I can't really tell you what works best with my scopes, as I havent' tried all the eps, although I can tell you how well particular eps within my experience work.

What you are doing is good and valuable, but has already been done in great detail at excelsis reviews, and at Cloudy Nights. I have a "veritable vote" at Excelsis, for some reason, but that is where I go for information on equipment.

With the CPC 8" and Nexstar 8" we tend to use televue 8-24 zoom for planets and Rigel 38mm/32mm widefield for wide angle.

With 700mm William Optics refractors the 38/32mm is superb for wide views but for planetary we have televue 3-6mm zoom and Burgess 8,4,3.2mm plus a meade 5000 5.5mm. For the moon the refractors work nicely with the televue 8-24 zooms though we can use the short mm planetary sets if we want.

For the F5 6" reflector we use anything and have fun.

Given a start from scratch I might have got some eyepieces different but, once you have them and you're happy it's a waste on money to change.

The favourites of all the lot is probably the 38mm wide and the (old version) televue 8-24 (for the sheer convenience of having one eyepiece that you can use all night and one that you can change power on without changing eyepiece, fiddling with filters etc.

Rigel 38mm WF, ER (2")

Rigel 32mm WF, ER (2")

Televue 8-24 zoom NF, ER

Meade 5000 5.5 NF, ER

Burgess 8mm, 4mm, 3.2mm G, NF, ER

Televue 3-6 zoom NF, ER

Thanks for your reply "Warthog."

I'm sure you are more than "qualified" to put your opinions on the eyepiece survey! If you have a favourite eyepiece that works well with your telescope, then please (when you have time) send me the info to put on the chart!

I didn't know about the eyepiece info on "Excelcis," but "what ho!" I'll carry on regardless, as someone on here might find it useful - and it will be yet another source of info for everyone.

Thanks for the eyepiece information you sent in "Tiny." I'll put it on the chart.

There is a growing concensus of information about eyepieces that seems to be indicating a strong preference for the "Televues," "Naglers" and other quality eyepieces - as well as a "sprinkling" of other eyepieces.

I'm sure this will be invaluable information for those starting out. (and perhaps the more experienced too).

I'm hoping such information will help point people in the right direction as far as buying their first "extra" eyepiece(s) to supplement the ones which came with their telescope. I hope their will be enough information on different eyepieces to help people who are looking for a quality eyepiece but don't want to spend £££££. Also for those who are looking for confirmation (from fellow uses of the same scope and eyepiece) that their next eyepiece is definately going to give them the views they are looking for - especially if they are going to spend a lot of money.

Thanks again for the info "Tiny."

regards,

philsail1

I use 3 ep's and its very hard to say which is "best". Depends on what Im doing.

Meade 10" lightbridge

Meade 2" 26mm QX wide angle and as lightbucket states WF, ER (not too good near the edge of the FOV though).

Pentax XL14 G, ER (fantastic for a closer look at faint fuzzies, no "fall off" at edge of fov)

Plossil 40mm WF ER. (Great for open clusters and sweeping the milky way. It really works well at this and it wasnt expensive)

Baader Hyperions? Or more specifically, the : 5, 8, 13 (21), 24mm: G, ER.

Hyperion 31mm Aspheric = WF, ER (qualities commensurate w/price?) :p

All Hyperions: Good "general-purpose", for middlin' fund-ers - w/BOTH MAK127 & ST102/F5 :(

Have tried, w/above scopes (and regretfully sold):

Speers-Waler Mk.I 10mm 82 Deg. WF (Tho' suprisingly unproblematical ER, weight etc.)

Televue 8-24 Zoom NF, ER (Touch above usual, qualitywise. Slight "blackout" with me.)

Vixen Lanthanums: 4, 6, 10, 15 NF, ER (All "did PERECISELY what it said on the tin"! :angry:

Archived