NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EP plug doubles as solar finder

Floater

I'm a great believer in using a solar finder rather than faffing around with shadows, etc., and have inadvertently discovered I have one (well, more actually)  I was unaware of owning ...

i bought some 'posh EP plugs'  from Astroboot for £3.00/£3.50 each. Made by Astro Engineering, they are metal with a central hole and have a coloured acrylic/plastic coating over the top.

The other day, while orienting my scope to point at the sun using my Helio Pod finder I noticed that when on-target the light of the sun is visible through the top of the dust plug - so it can be used as a solar finder to safely centre on the sun as well as a dust plug ...

The one I was using was the blue plug and haven't tried other colours yet but I'm sure they must work just as well. And for three quid that can't be bad! :rolleyes:

I hear copper wire was invented by two Scots fighting over a penny :grin:  Great discovery Gordon, I do think the sol-finder is expensive for what is but it does work very well indeed.

Archived