Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkytechX

Dave_D

Ok I have no idea what happened tonight.  Everytime I launch Skytech (32 bit) on the observatory PC, the map, regardless which target is selected simply slowly scrolls until the north pole is centred in the window.  Search for a target, it jumps to it and the scrolls back until the north pole is centred... I closed and re-opene dthe app and it continued to do the same - no idea if it is a setting that's over-riding the option to right click and slew on a target, or the app has crashed ?

Do you have a gamepad attached? There is an option to turn on/off gamepad control, and a gamepad that wasn't quite centered could be sending the program the 'up' command all the time.

cheers,

Robin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I did some 'integration testing' of the application during a recent imaging session and it generally worked well alongside my other applications.

I did come across a couple of aspects that mean that I won't be putting CdC on the shelf just yet.

1. Once I've started an imaging session I've tended to disconnect CdC from the mount and close it down.  I do this to free up resources on the computer and also to stop me inadvertently sending an unwanted command to the mount due to finger trouble.  When I did the same with SkyTechX (either by fully closing the application or just disconnecting it from the mount), it issues a Stop Tracking command to the mount which of course mucks up the imaging session.  So I would need to keep SkytechX open in the background.

2.  One feature of CdC I use a lot is the ability to create different charts and add labels onto a chart.  I use this as a planning tool to highlight DSOs that I'd like image at some stage.  SkytechX currently does not appear to have that facility.

I'd be interested to hear if there is any workaround in the application for either of the above,  as the speed and smoothness of the application are impressive.

2.  One feature of CdC I use a lot is the ability to create different charts and add labels onto a chart.  I use this as a planning tool to highlight DSOs that I'd like image at some stage.  SkytechX currently does not appear to have that facility.

Your are comparing apples with oranges... Cdc is a chart orientated application. I was designed to allow you to do things like those you stated.  The fact it integrates with ASCOm to make life easy when using the charts is a bonus. Skytech is prodomantly a planetarium application to display what's in the sky from a location at any given time and date, and then interface with a telescope to goto a selected target of interest.  As far as I know, CdC is unique in its multi chart functionality.  However Skytech is evolving and maybe this is something the author will incorporate in a future version unless it means a complete re-write of the code

Your are comparing apples with oranges... Cdc is a chart orientated application. I was designed to allow you to do things like those you stated.  The fact it integrates with ASCOm to make life easy when using the charts is a bonus. Skytech is prodomantly a planetarium application to display what's in the sky from a location at any given time and date, and then interface with a telescope to goto a selected target of interest.  As far as I know, CdC is unique in its multi chart functionality.  However Skytech is evolving and maybe this is something the author will incorporate in a future version unless it means a complete re-write of the code

I would respectfully disagree :smile: CdC & Stellarium are often compared and contrasted and SkytechX IMHO falls into the same category of application.  Plenty of other posts in this thread and making the comparison with CdC.

I'm sure and I hope SkytechX will evolve over time - we'll watch with interest.

In terms of CdC being unique with respect to being able to produce multiple charts, there is another application called SkyMap that I believe can do the same though it is a commercial application rather than 'donationware'.

• 4 months later...

Archived