Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

XW range Combined with the VIP Barlow - Lunar Review

Pig

Well it is certainly one solution Stu. I have just configured the set to see if this will work.

The 1.25 element is screwed into the top element and spaced by the 2" second element.

The unit still sits quite deep inside my diagonal but it is not as close to the mirror

post-27910-0-23997200-1438453619_thumb.j

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you can understand this, if not I will try it first and If it works I will use images to demonstrate.

1) I unscrewed the nosecone from its original position

2) I then unscrewed the middle element from the 1.25 adapter

3) I then screwed the nosecone into the 1.25 adapter ( I noticed the widths were quite different )

4) I then screwed  middle element back in.

The result is that the nose cone sits deeper inside the diagonal but does not touch the mirror. I do not know if it is sufficient enough to achieve focus but  I will give it a try later

Nice first light Shaun!  Sure VIP is a good Lego to play with :smiley:

Some inspiring ideas about shortening the nosepiece, I've just checked nosepiece, it's exactly the same part as the one comes with Maxbright, typical Baader T2 system, same parts used in different comfigurations. :smiley:  The barlow lens (with M34 thread) can be unscrewed with fingers from the nosepiece. I would like to think that this part (2458199, #12) should be able to replace the nosepiece (barlow lens screws into M34, then T2 to the top parts of VIP), it should shorten the nosepiece by 9-10mm (barlow lens is about 17mm long), and given much better chance to use the barlow in 2" focuser directly.

I set the alarm for 3am to check out if the forecast of clear skies was correct, and guess what ?........ It was cloudy :grin:

Was I surprised by this ? ..... No :grin:

As a result I didn't get to check the Lego configuration to see if it works. I will try again tonight a it is forecast to be clear :shocked:

Archived