Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to turn a crawford electric

blinky

I recieved my dual speed antares crawford this week. Got it all fitted up but I really wanted to retain the electric focus, especially for Saturn at high magnification and I also feel it was quite good for focusing the DSLR.

Anyway I had the skywatcher electric focuser, after 10 mins of staring at the scope and then the motor I figured it out!

Mount the motor slightly below the fine focus knob of the crawford and connect it up with a thick rubber band (It actually looks like a pulley but I dont know where it came from). I can now have very very fine control via the electric focuser or by detatching the band I get normal dual speed crawford focusing!

Next step is to convert the electric focus handset to 12volts to speed up the motor a bit as it's a bit too fine at the moment, but otherwise a very well spend morning!

I will post an image when I get a minute, maybe this afternoon but rain is forecast!

My RDF is actually glued on but with epoxy resin, works great ;)

The only problem I have with the electric focuser is it's too slow (I can only get it to turn the 10X reduction knob) so I have to remove the pulley to get rough focus then use the eceltric focuser for fine focus. I also modded the control box to accept 12V rather than the 9v it took before. I think I might try and swap the motor for a faster one but will see how it goes.

Well you would get a 12volt one with enough torque to turn the focuser OK, but you will need to make a control board for speed and reversing. Maybe Maplin do a kit for stepper control cheap.

;)

I have seen a couple of USB control boards for stepper motors. It will have to wait a couple of months till I come back from Holiday. The accountant has warned me, no more spending till we come back!

One thing I need to ask though. The screws that I screwed it in with protrude into the tube my maybe 1/4 of an inch. I plan on painting them black but will this cause any problems, by the length of the screws in the tube?

Archived