Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Threaded rod problem

iamjulian

Hello, I have run into a small problem with my pier. I have decided to take the tripod legs off the heq5 and use the top bit of the tripod, rather than getting a pier plate or whatever it is called.

In the attached picture, the tripod top (left) and the bottom of the mount (right) are threaded. But the is space between them. The supplied tripod threaded rod goes through the tripod bottom then goes loose then bites into the mount. Using a standard threaded rod does not work because it pushes the two bits slightly apart.

Is it easy to get a section of threaded rod smoothed off - a lathe!?

Advice welcome!

Thank you

post-3604-0-80064500-1437845044_thumb.jp

The thread in the hole of the tripod top casting serves no useful purpose apart from stopping the supplied central screwed rod from falling when unscrewed from the base of the mount.  ie the supplied rod is "captive" once screwed through the hole in the tripod top casting.  Therefore drilling out that hole - as suggested - does no real harm to the mount apart from allowing the central rod drop away if it is unscrewed.

Archived