Intel NUC Observatory PC

WireD64

Just wanting to share my new purchase as I think for me it makes the perfect observatory PC.

It's an intel NUC runs with an i5 dual core processor and currently have 4gb of RAM although it will take 16gb. My plan is to have this either running off a leisure battery of some kind, or running a long mains extension lead for it. 

I have installed windows 7 on it and it will be controlling my AstroEQ and DSLR through BackyardEOS, and Carte Du Ciel

I am using Splashtop to remotely connect to it from my macbook which works flawlessly.

Would love to here from others who have used an Intel NUC or similar, or anyone who has any ideas for me.

post-39534-0-04924200-1437591692_thumb.j

post-39534-0-29147500-1437591696_thumb.j

post-39534-0-40858200-1437591701_thumb.j

HI,

These are great boxes for Astro control, been using a NUC as the control system for a yr or so now, upgraded recently to an i7 version as just build an automated obs so it also handles all the obs control as well.

They will run off of 12v though I run mine from 19v and connect via Remote Desktop over my wireless network.

Can let you have more detail if you want.

Trevor 

yep,

I bought a Nuc (5i5RYH Core i5 5250U 1.6GHz) with 8GB memory, 500GB Laptop Thin SSHD disk (M2 SSD also). Runs with Win8.1, ASCOM, EQMOD, PHD2 and Sequence Generator Pro. Of course when I'm at a remote site then it's a laptop with a leisure battery. I'm not a fan of cigarette sockets but here I put in five even though I have one socket in use as I currently power the mount, scope and associated kit via a HitecAstro Mount Hub. Of course if I change mounts to one that is 24v then I will need to review things.

I control it via wireless and teamviewer, the ethernet cable is there in case the wireless has issues.

19810114199_317ea591b6.jpg

I looked at these a while back and decided that I wasn't prepared to pay how much they cost at the time.  Perhaps it's time to look again as I do like the form factor for all sorts of applications (I have something similar running MythTV in the childrens' room and it's quite similar, though a little larger I think, to the non-unibody Mac Mini which I have on my desk for oaCapture development).

James

Nice, Great to see what you guys have done with them, very similar all round to my set up then.

Taken a bit of advice from tdnicholls and nearly finished my build into a aluminium flight case rather than plastic box just cos i had a spare one.

The NUC's really are perfect for what we need from them and i could see a better way of doing things other than having a laptop left out which i was keeping away from.

I shall post some pics up later once ive finished adding some cooling fans into the case.

Did anyone measure the DC power draw from a NUC?

I'm thinking of getting a NUC (Celleron processor) to control the scope in the field. It seems to me that it should have a lower consumption than my laptop drawing power from a 12v battery. The idea is to set it up, rdp/vnc in from the laptop and start the imaging session. After it has started, I can then leave the NUC running and periodically login from my laptop to see if all is good, that way a laptop battery should be enough for an entire night AND even a 1Ah drop in power consumption is great for me (though the 12v NUCs are REALLY power efficient from what I heard). 

Although I dont know the numbers i think you'll find the celeron version is extremely low power, but the others in this thread all have the i5 which will be considerably more, but still relatively low consumption

Here was how I had mine setup, Rich and I had an email conversation about the setup, thought I would post here as is relevent.

I did the same for a while and I built all the kit into a 30L plastic storage box.

2014-11-01180252_zps22622237.jpg

2015-03-04%2009.32.04_zpszhkacpqd.jpg

2015-03-04%2009.31.53_zpsngbu9tv4.jpg

and in use

2015-03-10%2017.57.00_zpsjplskks2.jpg

I just fed the box with 2 x 12v (1 for camera and the other for all other 12v components) and 1 x 19v for the NUC.

This left me just the data and power cables to run to the kit from the box and allowed me to keep the USB cables as short as possible.

Thanks

Just making a few mods to the box before I finish the NUC installation.

Although the flightcase is not waterproof I thought it safe to use a waterproof mains plug and socket to the side of the flight case and wired to a 4 way extension lead inside

2 x 40mm fans mounted to give some airflow on the side of the case that the NUC will sit.

Next ive got some USB sockets and RJ11 sockets to mount on the side of the case but in the meantime, i am just about to make a hole to poke the cables through temporarily.

post-39534-0-07733700-1438018571_thumb.j

post-39534-0-90467800-1438018579_thumb.j

post-39534-0-53436800-1438018586_thumb.j

Yeah thats half the reason, and obviously wanting to keep it all covered safely.

I'll keep this topic updated as i progress just in case its useful info to someone in the future, itll be a couple of weeks before its properly finished as waiting for some connections from china, but ill have it all working tomorrow hopefully and do a test run.

Case mods aside it'll be the first time I use the NUC connected to the scope tomorrow so im sure there'll be a few challenges regarding software to sort out in the meantime.

Archived