NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So many stars

So last night i watched the nasa live feed which was fantastic to see charon and pluto.this inspired me to get out and have a session last night as it was probally the only clear night for 2 weeks.put my scope out about 10pm waited till 11pm and headed outside first was my new love saturn for about half an hour then m13 which even though its only a fuzzie through my 130p is my favourite cluster then onto a couple of double stars.by now it was 12.30 and i must say its the latest ive been out this summer as three daughters under 6 years old takes it toll for staying up late.now i could see more stars with my naked eye last night than any other night since i started observing a couple of months ago which was a real thrill i can only imagine what it would be like to be looking from a dark sight but i was so happy i popped my vixen npl 30mm in pointed my scope to a quite high spot near zenith were i could see lots of stars had a look through my eyepiece and was blown away with how many stars i could see not just the usuall 20 or 30 but hundreds of stars it was more of a WOW momment than when i first spotted jupiter and saturn.i sat there for another hour just scanning the universe looking at stars.i dont even mind now if i cannot locate smudges and fuzzies as i now have my own sparkling star clusters to look at :)

clear skies

Neil

Nice one Neil.........A pair of 8x40 or 10x50 wide angle Binoculars have the same impact on the Stars, but you may see more, as your using both eyes?

The Stars, as points of light, show no detail, but to look in awe at the Milky-way and the various  constellations, just needs a deck chair and binoculars. 

This far North, its the best I can do for my observing as its far to light here for a Dobsonian ( not worth the effort setting up! )  during the Summer!

During the Winter, it really blows you away :grin:

Nice one Neil.........A pair of 8x40 or 10x50 wide angle Binoculars have the same impact on the Stars, but you may see more, as your using both eyes?

The Stars, as points of light, show no detail, but to look in awe at the Milky-way and the various  constellations, just needs a deck chair and binoculars. 

This far North, its the best I can do for my observing as its far to light here for a Dobsonian ( not worth the effort setting up! )  during the Summer!

During the Winter, it really blows you away :grin:

i am thinking of getting some bins now as widefield starfields are amazing also in the new year i will be joining the big dob mob :)

Archived