Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar viewing with a spottingscope

I have an Opticron 75mm spottingscope and wondered what the views of the sunspots would be like when a solar filter was used. Has anyone tried?

Also can Thousand Oak glass solar filters be purchased in The UK?

Can't think why not. I use my Opticron 66mm spotting scope for casual night-time observing, so with solar film you should be able to get decent results with solar observing. It would be well worth the initial outlay just to see.

Ian

You'll get fine views with the scope ...  :smiley:

I'd strongly recommend using Baader Solar Film over a glass-based filter though ( unless you find a Zeiss glass filter somewhere for several hundred pounds that is ) no basic glass-based filter comes close to Baader film as far as detailed views are concerned.

Hiya Grumpy,

I used to use a solar filter with my TV pronto, it did show a bit of CA that did show a yellow outline around the limb of the sun,  the spots did sometimes appear to have a slight purple colour to them. However, there was no loss of detail.

The smallest of the ready made Baader astrosolar filters (see Widescreen Centre website) are actually made for spotting scopes - I bought one and fitted it onto my 4 inch Maksutov. Also interesting as a couple of the best solar zoom eyepieces were also developed for spotting scopes

Archived