NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is this a good deal/investment for absolute beginner

8" Bosch and Lomb Dynamax Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope.

3 Eye pieces and a Barlow Lense one 30mm, one 19mm televue Wide Field and one 18mm one B&L Camera Adapter and one Canon T-Ring and one ext tube

Tripod and attatchment

Excellent Condition

$300

I have a thought in the back of my head that these had some optical issues. but dont take my word on that is my head is a jumbled mess at the best of times :)

Id do some googling and read up reviews i think thesre are an 80's scope.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Although the price is low the B&L schmidt-cassegrains have a very checkered reputation in all honesty.

Have a look at the excellent (and free !) guide to used SCT's by Rod Mollise and he covers everything thats out there:

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/

Page 145 and onwards refers to the B&L SCT's.

From experience, there's more to go wrong with a SCT. I bought an 8" Celestron from eBay that turned out a complete mess although cosmetically it looked great. A point of light when focussed turn out to be a straight line, out of focus, instead of a donought shape (0) it was a distinct figure 8.

Having said that the two other SCTs I have are brilliant so the only advice I would give is try before you buy.

Archived