NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Want to get started with astrophotography

I have a Meade ETX 80, got it as a gift and I love it, I live in Catterick Garrison, which I might add is all lit up like a christmas tree at night, so I have to walk about a mile and half to get to a dark sky spot I found, this is why I love my Meade, I have had bigger telescopes in the past and it wasn't a problem with getting them to dark spots because I had a car, but I now find myself without a car.

I am looking at getting into astrophotography, I don't have the money to get a DSLR or anything fancy but I do have a small 10 mega pixal compact camera which is a Samsung s1070, and also a bridge camera which is a Fuji FinePix S4800. But I do have a small netbook and I have built myself a frame that attaches to my mount of my Meade, the problem I am coming across is which would be the best webcam to buy to do some photography with it? the initial budget I have is around 60 pounds, but would prefer spending less then that if I can help it.

hi and welcome to SGL the camera's that you have will have to be used with an afocal adapter and this short video will show you how to

there are many different adapters and flo have a couple of them 1 is the baader digicam adapter and the other a skywatcher one. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-microstage-clickstop-digital-camera-adapter.html    as for web cam only use for a webcam is planets or a cheap guidecam. hope this helps.

it does, my scope is really only for planets and the moon, it's only a 80mm aperture with a 400mm (f/5) focal length, I have a couple of adapters already, I did find a telephoto lens attachment and also a wide angle attachment so I am thinking of piggy backing the bridge.

Over on Astrophotography Tutorials on Youtube a Logitech c310 webcam is converted to a planetary cam step-by-step. He also has a video showcasing some results that is actually quite impressive for the price; of course this is only one possible webcam path out of countless others spread across the web! The focal ratio of your scope though is quite low for planetary and I'd recommend getting a barlow (in the tutorial he recommends a focal ratio such as f/10). Hope this helps a bit! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-2REeK_Nc

Archived