Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which 150 f5?

Hi all, having pretty much made the decision to buy a Skywatcher 150p, after a few meanderings, I looked at the GSO 150 as marketed by TS Optics here:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p26_GSO-150mm-F5-Newtonian-Telescope-OTA-2--Crayford-focuser.html

Altair Astro also do a similar scope but with the dual speed focuser is more expensive - but nice.

Hunting around on the net I've found comments effectively saying that they are the same scope, but I don't think this is the case as Synta, Skywatcher's parent company is Chinese and GSO is Taiwanese. The spec is slightly different, the weight is a kilo heavier, and the focuser though a single speed Crayford looks different. One slightly worrying detail is the quoted 63mm CO, that works out at 42%, I'm sure the SW is less.  With the euro exchange rate being good at the moment the GSO comes in at just under £170 which looks good.

Has anybody any experience of GSO 'scopes? Is the difference in real terms likely to be so small that it would be better to stick with the Skywatcher?

Thanks guys. Hi Jules, I had seen the one on AB and my fingering was hovering over the buy button but paused when thought about the GSO. Tinker, it is for purely visual, that said I had looked at a P-DS on ABS but got no reply. If I need to upgrade a 150P to a 2 speed, I can get a conversion kit.Damian - yep I think I'm erring towards the SW. You know, "once I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!"

Archived