NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coronado PST; Super review???

baggywrinkle

Question: Is the double stacked version worth it?

That review was crazy :)  I think the jury is out with double stacked.  Some really like it, others don't.  I have a single stacked 50mm Lunt and really enjoy it how it is for visual.   I have decided to double stacking soon based on what I have read again just for visual use.  

Some of the points of view raised on other threads seem to be that the extra etalon will reduce the amount of light reaching the eyepiece.  This alone could be a big enough issue to avoid the extra glass.  The reduced light will dim the prominences, maybe knocking out some of the more subtle details, this on balance is a sacrifice for enhanced surface details.  It seems that the solar scope users over the pond swear by double stacking, the image comparisons between are striking.  

Others will have to chip in on the imaging side of things.  

This site is useful

http://www.solarscopereviews.com/

I have a Lunt LS50F doublestacked to a PST. I like it. The proms still come through nice 'n' bright and the filaments are distinct. In good seeing, the filaments are almost black, making them very conspicous.

Archived