Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tal 2M mount - OTA choices/weight

Alfian

Hi all,

I am very fortunate in acquiring a good condition Tal 2M mount that fits directly onto my Tal 1 Pillar. This has set my mind going as to what 'scope would nicely sit on it, other than the remarkable Tal1. I have long fancied a big(ish) refractor but something like the Evostar 120 or for that matter the Tal100RS would need the pillar extending, which I gather from the previous 2M owner can be (and has been) done. 

Leaving that idea for the time being though, that leaves me with a reflector. I quite like the idea of the Altair/GSO 150/900 f6 but I'm not sure whether this is too ambitious, as the stability of the Tal mount is such a big plus. Can anyone tell me what a practical usable maximum load would be for the 2M, I can then keep my aims reasonable. 

Hi Jules, that's a new one on me and I've had to look it up! According to the Tal homesite the 200k weighs in at 12kg. That gives me a lot of room for manouvre. That's got me buzzin'. The GSO 150f6 would indeed be possible. Mmm!. Still can't get the frac idea out of my head though. Good job I haven't got the cash yet as I would be in a quandry!

I regularly use this mount with close to 20kg riding on top. Handles it with ease, as long as you get the balance and set up the clutches correctly. Extra counter weights are a must of course.

Andy.

Hi Andy, thanks for that. 20Kg? Wow! I've no worries in that respect then. Regarding use with a refractor, do you have any thoughts on the best practical way of extending the pillar. It had occurred to me that given that the Tal is not likely to be carried far from where I currently store and use it, a raised plinth might work (or maybe dig a circular pit!) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a postscript to the above. I had what now seems to be a minor glitch with the "2M" and consulted AndyH, (a fount of wisdom on things Tal), as to its cause/remedy. In the process my mount was identified as a 1M. Apologies for misleading people as this was my fault entirely. The mount looks and, motor housing apart, is indeed in some aspects, larger than the standard Tal 1 manual mount. For example, the counterweight shaft is not threaded, as per the Tal 1, and is of a wider gauge. The 1M cannot carry the load of the 2M bit is still quite respectable (estimated 10 kg) and should be OK with some of the options I'm considering so I'm not complaining. Makes me think though that the 2M must be quite a lump!

Archived