Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lodestar Live - OSX Version

Paul81

Hi All,

Finally getting some free moments to get LL 0.12 ready except I have come across a slight problem..

Part of the V0.12 update is to move to the QT5.4 framework (this was mainly to support high DPI displays for Windows users - such as surface tablets) however this presents me with a dilemma for OSX:

QT5.4 requires a minimum OSX version of 10.7 (Lion) and will therefore not be compatible with OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. LL has always been 10.6 compatible.

So the downside is that no-one with 10.6 will be able to run LL, but the upside is that LL would now run in the nice full-screen mode...

However I can compile LL 0.12 against the older QT 4.8 for OSX....

So the question is - is anyone who uses LL running it on 10.6? If no-one does then I'll just use QT5.4, else I keep QT4.8 for OSX...

Paul

It's good to keep backwards compatibility, but eventually you have to move on... What advantages do you lose staying with QT4.8? I would have thought that the never version is probably more optimised?

Hi Paul,

I agree with Adam. It's the natural progression of things. I do run LL on my wife's old MacBook that I updated to 10.6, but I only use it for a second LS as a finder. I can just continue to use LL v0.11.

I would say to go with what you think is best and don't worry about compatibility that far back.

One thing that would help multiple LS owners is to have multiple camera capability on the same computer. Is that possible? Maybe you can sneak that in in version 0.13?

Thanks for your dedication to this truly amazing software.

Don

Paul,

You understand the pros/cons better than we do, re: QT support. The fact you've been supporting a legacy OS like 10.6 this long is amazing, but I agree with the others - sooner or later you'd have to discontinue supporting older OS Versions. I moved to Mavericks a while back, and will move to the latest OS when I upgrade my MacBook Pro in the near future.

Thanks again for a great bit of software!

Greg A

One more vote for moving on here - I'm happily on Yosemite.

And if we're adding in feature requests I'd love to see a negative image feature - just a switch to toggle between white on black and black on white.  I understand this is harder/less useful for the color cam user, but for mono cams it can be helpful to tease out very faint objects.

Thanks again for all your work on LL.

Alex

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

For V0.12 I'll build two versions - one with the old QT and suitable for OSX 10.6 and also one with QT5.4 and OSX 10.7+ - test the waters in this release and gauge the lay of the land for V0.13.

I have an issue with the bundled QT5.4 version at the moment - it crashes straight upon execution and its a bit of a mystery (works fine on my machine...). Originally this was due to link issues in the app bundle but that is fixed so must be something else...

Should have some time this week to sort that so all being good hopefully V0.12 will make it onto the forum by the weekend...

For info, QT5.4 will allow the GUI to render for high DPI displays on OSX and Windows - on OSX this will just make it look more glossy, but Windows this will fix the high DPI issues Helen has been having on her surface tablet.

Alex - a negative image is very easy, will get that in V0.13 (the main focus for this release is multi-spectral EAA)

Don - multiple cameras a bit more tricky, but I was looking to get other SX cameras into V0.14 so will look to address this then...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived