NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where should I mount an Orion guide scope ?

Hi all,

I've been browsing the forums to answer this question and it seems that the solution is to piggy back the guider on the OTA.

Why is this better than just using the sadle on the OTA ? Does this have to do with flex or wanting to have the saddle used for something else (a Telrad for example) ?

Could I just set it up this way and get away with it ;) it is really rock solid like this...

Saddle

Skywatcher 80ED Black Diamond

Seems good, if you don't want a finder.

I  use a Guide Scope as a Finder scope as well, just align the guide scope to the main scope and use the PHD viewing screen to slew stuff into the centre......i also do my PA this way using the Handset Option......

I  use a Guide Scope as a Finder scope as well, just align the guide scope to the main scope and use the PHD viewing screen to slew stuff into the centre......i also do my PA this way using the Handset Option......

Noted ! :)

You could get one of these and have the finder and guider ...  :smiley:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/flo-multi-finder-adapter-for-skywatcher.html

I'll keep that in mind as I was thinking that a Telrad or Rigel finder would be nice to have, although I am not sure of the benefits of using one of these. It might be overkill in my case for now ;) Is this even needed if using the guide scope as a finder ?

Noted ! :)

There a bit finicky to set-up, i found iniatly the Moon then M31 then any bright star, the guided ring as very stable, so now i can sit at the PC and do any slewing ect from there and really faint DSO's show up on the PHD screen so getting them in the middle of a CCD/DSLR Sensor just takes the slew time, I use EQMod most of the time but PA with the Handset......

DSC_0837.jpg

Archived