Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question on Sky-watcher AZ-EQ6 RA circle

kendg

OK, just got my new AZ-EQ6. Now all I need are clear nights. Wouldn't you know it but the last few weeks have been very clear and as soon as the mount arrived it clouded over.

I've been looking at all sorts of youtube videos on the EQ6 on setting it up but haven't seen the same for the AZ-EQ6. I've been trying to set up things as shown for the EQ6.

Anyways, on to my question. It's about the R.A. dial. In almost all the videos I've seen, the R.A. dial moves with the R.A. axis. On the AZ-EQ6 it seems that the R.A. dial is pretty much stationary and doesn't move once locked. It can be moved and adjusted, but just doesn't move along with the R.A. axis once locked. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.
Ken
From the great white north.

Yes. The RA dial is fixed on the AZ-EQ6. Irritatingly on mine the dial can rotate even when "locked" as I rotate the mount about the RA axis. So when polar aligning I hold the dial in place with my finger as I rotate the mount on the RA axis to set the correct Hour Angle of Polaris.

Yes, the fact the dial can be fixed to the mount and the RA axis rotate around it independantly is a good thing, and the fact the dials on most other mounts just rotate freely or whenever they want is a failure on the other mounts.

I've set mine up so when i put the RA time on 0, the Polaris transit circle on the polar scope reticle is at the 6 o'clock position. Therefore, i can mostly position the polaris circle pretty accurately (within 10 minutes anyway) wihout even having to look through the polar scope.

James

Thanks. 

Now one more question.

On the polar scope there is a dial and a pointer. The pointer is almost impossible to use as it's on the bottom and probably the only way to use it is to shrink to about 1 meter tall. Did they get it wrong when they built it? It's pretty useless where it is.

Thanks in advance. Only another 6 weeks till it we get some actual dark here.

Ken
From the great white north.

It can only go at the bottom due to where the clutch lever is. I would assume using the dial and pointer is for when you're looking through the polar scope, so you're already in the right place (on a stool, or down on the knees).

Archived