Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

space junk new images from esa

timetraveller

Has anybody else seen the images of all the space junk in orbit around our planet released by ESA I saw it on Sky News today its quite amazing. The Earth now has a ring around it like Saturn only its space junk not ice particles rocks or boulders yet another testimony to Mankinds total lack of care and respect for our planet and I would like to make a prediction here guys that the first commercial enterprise when we finally get into space on mass is liable to be a space junk yard /recycling centre wonder if they will have K9 guard dogs patrolling them :(

They are making a rod for their own backs leaving all that rubbish careering about up there. It isn't going to be too long before a major collision occurs, and only then with those responsible give some thought to cleaning up their mess.. Space is huge, but the area around the earth isn't,

so they should make a start on the cleanup. And they talk about fly tipping. :(

Ron. :x

They are quite shocking images!

I read in one newspaper that a piece of "junk" about the size of a grain of salt (travelling at 13,000mph) could pierce a space suit or do serious damage to an orbiting vehicle!

It's frightening.

Another thuought of my own - I wonder whether all that space junk represents the "final frontier" with regard to "light pollution" for astronomers? (There must be an awful lot of reflected light scattering around in the upper atmosphere!

Regrards,

philsail1

Archived