Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 Wide field RASA

pyrasanth

I captured the image last night of M13. Fairly low in the sky & heavily light polluted skies. This was a total of 42 60 second exposures using an Atil 490 OSC.

I'm fairly pleased with the result. M13 will be a lot better when the sky gets darker & its a lot higher. Can't wait to redo this image.

The 2 small galaxies which have been captured were a bit of a revelation. I never expected these under my light polluted skies!

I had to crop heavily to remove a lot of the light pollution in the field edges so the original image is massive.

post-36426-0-52147800-1431860014_thumb.p

As with your M51 there is a saturated core here which has burned out the colour and lost contrast. I suspect you have more detail in the raw data than is emerging. It's all down to the way you stretch. Although I don't use it myself, you might find DDP (digital development process) useful. Various versions of this are avaiable. (Maxim DL, AstroArt and later editions of Photoshop.) If done in Curves a stretch which flattens and straightens earlier might be helpful.

Olly

Very nice but a little green to my eye, I suspect the balance may be a little off.

Yes, SCNR Green in Pixinsight or a dose of Hasta La Vista Green, maybe? (Google Hasta la Vista Green, Deep Sky Colors.) It's free.

Olly

Archived