Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5" Newton F/5 Mini dobsonian conversion

GuLinux

Hello, I would like to share with you this humble modification I did to my Celestron Astromaster EQ 130 into a mini dobsonian scope.

I mainly bought this telescope because it was small (I didn't even had a car back then, so I needed something very portable) and cheap.

But the EQ mount was still a bit too big and heavy, so I decided to try to convert it into a dobsonian-like fashion.

The result is quite rought, I never did something like this before, but it's getting a little bit better over time.

The main issue was getting it tall enough: since its focal length is only 650mm, with a traditional ground base it would had been impossible to get to the eyepiece!

Firstly I added three table-like legs, but since they were perpendicular to the base, it quicly became very unstable.

I just recently added another modification: three pieces of thick wood, with a 16mm large hole each, with a 45° angle from the base.

This way I can just insert three 60cm long lightweight aluminium legs, to get a higher and very sturdy setup.

Attached you may find a few pictures, so you can get the general idea :)

post-44072-0-16419400-1431553344_thumb.jpost-44072-0-69299300-1431553346_thumb.jpost-44072-0-58556000-1431553349_thumb.jpost-44072-0-76943900-1431553352_thumb.j

I was also thinking to totally remove the tube and transforming it into a truss rod scope, I'm still a bit undecided, because although I would surely gain in compactness, it wouldn't be "just ready" as it is now.

Very novel... And are those tin cans I see as the altitude bearings?

Yes... rought, I know, but it works :) I have to learn doing circular cuts with wood, to improve those.. :)

Archived