Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pembrokeshire stargazing sites bid for special status!

bingevader

Best of luck to them. Pembrokeshire is a beautiful part of the country and the skies can be dark. Choosing the right location is important though. Some of the lighthouses are very bright and their beams go a long way. I stayed a few nights at a campsite by Abereiddy earlier in the year. It is on a working farm and unfortunately has its own light dome due to lots of floodlights at the farm buildings. The owners were very friendly and switched off the main floodlight for me when i told them I was there for astrophotography. Strumble Head lighthouse had a really powerful beam even though it was miles from where i was. The article suggests Abereiddy Bay. IMHO it may be tricky with the wind blowing salty air in from the sea, the bay is in a valley so horizons aren't excellent. Also, unfortunately, the council are letting the carpark get washed away by the sea. Such a shame as it is a fantastic bit of coastline.

Stac rock would be a good spot but i'm not sure how often it is closed these days because it is in a military firing range.

Broadhaven South car park sounds like a good location - think i'll try that next time i'm there.

I'd love to find a Dark all year campsite in Pembrokeshire because then I could set up my kit and stay in the one location for a few days.

Archived