NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 50mm finder - o-ring alternative

hograt

The skywatcher 50mm Finder is held in its holder using two screws and a spring loaded pin. This works on the back end of the finder for positioning and the float it taken up at the front end with an o-ring. I've had mine for 10 years and have never used it. Of course, now I want to use it the o-ring is perished. I had a look around for a replacement and these can be purchased online for a small sum but that's not convenient.

I thought I'd have a dig around the garage for a quick fix. I dismantled a 40mm universal plastic pipe connector (the white type used for water waste) I had lying around from Wickes. This unit contains a couple of rubber seals which are tapered on one edge. So anyone needing a quick fix, this appears to be a good alternative to the o-ring and the fitting is standard and only costs a couple of pounds. The seal can be pushed along the finder tube and the tapered section fits under the finder holder (see photo)

Martin

post-405-0-41940400-1431296343_thumb.jpg

O-Ring packs at B&Q probably go for a couple of quid. I'm sure you could find one to fit!

http://www.diy.com/search/results/page=1?question=o+rings

unfortunately not - I had a look first in my local B&Q superstore and Halfords :)  If I search for the specific o-ring dimensions (52mm ID x 1.5mm) on google the choice of sellers is quite limited but they are very cheap if postage is free ;)

My B&Q has really gone down hill during the last few years; overpriced, poor service and poor quality materials (but that's my opinion)

Cheers

I borrow one of my daughters elastic hair bobble things , they work a treat , I simply walk into her room and find one lying on the floor , they can also be found in the bathroom, kitchen, living room, car and hoover bag.

I borrow one of my daughters elastic hair bobble things , they work a treat , I simply walk into her room and find one lying on the floor , they can also be found in the bathroom, kitchen, living room, car and hoover bag.

I have loads of these lying about as well... Not sure where they all come from, but I can never find one for my little girls hair when I need one! :p

Archived